Your favourite Aircraft Manufacturer!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Watanbe

Senior Airman
Apr 24, 2007
Adelaide
Put aside which nation produces the best planes or the best bomber, fighter etc and consider which of the WW2 manufacturers (from any country) produced your favourite designs!

I could do a poll but there are many manufacturers when you consider all the combatants!

My favourite is probably Junkers, they designed robust, versatile designs! The only thing they are lacking is a fighter!

Notable mentions to Bristol, Messerschmitt and Kawasaki!

Hmm... gonna have to go with Focke-Wulf because of the Fw-190 and other designs and probably either Boeing or North American, for producing a variety of effective and mass produced types

Having worked for Lockheed, Boeing, BAE, Northrop (as a contractor) and Sikorsky (again as a contractor) I have loyalties with Lockheed. Aside from the record breaking designs, I got to work on airplanes I actually built in the early 1980s 20 years later when I was in the Naval Reserves.

Republic for the P-47 and later the A-10.

Lockheed for the P-38 and eventually the F-16, F-35, F-22, and AC-130 just to name a few. (My dad works for lockheed martin so I may be a bit biased)

and Messerschmitt for the ME-109 and the first jet fighter, the ME-262

Can I clarify I meant during the WW2 period! Although happy to hear opinions post war as well!

This is as difficult, or more ,than picking my absolute favorite airplane. Names that first come to mind for me are Curtiss, Lockheed, Boeing. But as I sit and think about it, WWII only, it is Messerschmitt. Primarily the 109 and 262. The 110/210/410 were ok, but the 109 was what all allied (and the Fw 190 ) fighters were compared to. And the 262 was the genesis of the next generation, and both of those airplanes also just looked great.

Having worked for Lockheed, Boeing, BAE, Northrop (as a contractor) and Sikorsky (again as a contractor) I have loyalties with Lockheed. Aside from the record breaking designs, I got to work on airplanes I actually built in the early 1980s 20 years later when I was in the Naval Reserves.

I'm with FJ on this one; Lockheed all the way. They produced the advanced P-38, as well as the Electra, the Hudson bomber, the Ventura, and the Vega. And, as ksilber11 said, Lockheed also produced many successful post-War designs, like the P-80, the F-104, the U-2 and SR-71, not to mention the F-22 and F-35.

Maybe I'm biased, but mine is Fokker. Best manufacturer of WWI. They were one of the biggest airliner manufacturers in the '20ies. and had some real advanced designs at the start of the war. I'm thinking of the D.22 and D.23, the T.9 and of course my favourite, G.1, all of which could have been winners if the Germans hadn't invaded the NL so early.

My company is North American not only for the Mustang and the B-25 but also its post-war fighters like the F-86 Sabre, the F-100 Super Sabre and its experimental aircraft like the XB-70 supersonic bomber and the X-15 the fastest rocket propelled aircraft in history.

Maybe I'm biased, but mine is Fokker. Best manufacturer of WWI. They were one of the biggest airliner manufacturers in the '20ies. and had some real advanced designs at the start of the war. I'm thinking of the D.22 and D.23, the T.9 and of course my favourite, G.1, all of which could have been winners if the Germans hadn't invaded the NL so early.

I actually considered Fokker! I am a fan of some of the design's and they certainly produced a variety of aircraft! I would love to have seen the GI manufactured large scale outside of the Netherlands!

WWII: Messerschmitt.

Since it's been brought up - modern day is BELL! But I'm biased.

I've worked for, in cronological order, Blackburns, Hawkers, IAI (Bedek), CAC, an Hawker de Havilland ... so i'll pick.... um ... Curtiss, not because they built the best airplane but because I just like the look of the P40 .... :)

I've also made the most money drawing them 8)

Attachments

• ACEHI4.JPG
    ACEHI4.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 62
Grumman. Solid, rugged, and reliable, even if they did build mainly for the Navy (I'm retired career USAF).

I used to be fond of Boeing, but when they started hunting down model companies to demand royalties and guaranteed income, they put several small R/C companies out of business. :evil:

CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back