Your ideal 'faction' via death or promtion?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

merlin

Senior Airman
Dec 27, 2006
Cardiff
I came across an excellent 'faction' book recently called 'Luftwaffe Victorious'. Which imagines how the Luftwaffe's fortunes may have been different with a couple of personnel differences - General Wever lived longer, and Goering died in Sept. '40.
So whose death or promotion would you write-up, to make a impact (but let's keep it plausable) to the events of ww2?

Summer 44- Halsey Dies, Spruance continues in command. Very bad news for the Japanese at Leyte Gulf.

Manstien dies in early '39. No "Sickle Stroke" through the Ardenne.

Yammamoto dies in late '40. Pearl Harbor is not attacked, Phillipines are instead. US counterattack is defeated near Marianas. End result is the same at the same time but war is different in path.

Stalin is deposed in July of '41. Beria takes over. Soviet Union learns how to fight the Germans faster. End result is the same, but maybe 6 months earlier.

Chamberlin stays in power- same outcome but the war takes longer as Britain becomes even less aggressive.......

How about Udet crashes plane into Goring and killing them both, thus giving free rein to Milch. Done early enough Goring couldn't have created the SS.

Better still how about Hitler being a Communist/Jew/Alcholic meat eater. How would WWII end up then.

The problem of too many fanction books as they easily become fact look at Dan Browns efforts.

Say what now??

Could you expand on the question?

I was merely refering to the power of print to be more easily interputed as truth than other media. If you want me to poke holes in Dan Browns book the Da Vinci Code it would be a pleasure. Essentually it is largely basesd on forged documents created by 3 Frenchmen(I know how much this forum likes the french) in the 50's. It makes a good travel book but thats it.

Interesting ideas from 'timshatz' though wonder that if Yamamoto had died as suggested, why should Japan attack the US at all? Why not just strike at British and Dutch interests in the area. Secure the Dutch East Indies (especially the oil fields), conquer Malaya. Result - by the time the Congressmen etc at Capital Hill have got their act together - the Japanese could have practically surrounded the Phillipines, and occupied parts of Northern Australia!

Sorry 'Lanc' but I think that leaving Chamberlain as Prime Minister would have made a difference - much more likely that after Dunkirk (which wouldn't have been so successful) that 'peace offers' might have been explored - giving Hitler a free hand in Russia.

Howabout a royalist coup in Italy assinating Mussolinni in early '40? Result: no 'training ground' for the RAF British Army in the Desert, Germany can use Rommel his would've been Afrika Korp in Russia!

Adam strangles Eve for talking too much and burning the pot roast.

No humans

comiso - is that 'post' an attempt at humour!? Better luck next time. Hardly relevant to ww2!

I did wonder, if any would have sacked Harris!? If so when? Would Leigh-Mallory been in charge of 12 Group? If not who?
Some have said about Goering, but Udet was another 'waste of space'.

D-day in part succeeded because of Hobarts 'funnies', how much more could have been achieved earlier with his perception of armoured warfare?

Imagine Churchill and Adolf would have become friends !!!

All you suckers would have to speak German and eat Sauerkraut :lol:
And I would have to push night guard in Vladiwostoc because I don't have blond hair.

Attachments

• Signat.forum.bmp
    132 KB · Views: 187
Imagine Churchill and Adolf would have become friends !!!

All you suckers would have to speak German and eat Sauerkraut :lol:
And I would have to push night guard in Vladiwostoc because I don't have blond hair.

We'd still be speaking English over here, my friend.

Adam strangles Eve for talking too much and burning the pot roast.

No humans

:lol:

US Navy carriers in December 1941 are docked at Pearl Harbor, navy completely decimated. US becomes unable to fight Japan, instead focuses efforts towards ETA.

Err, upon actually reading the threat title, this is not my ideal outcome. It was a pretty close call though.

The German Air Force Man (temporarily forget his name) that advocated strategic bombing survives and the He-177 Greif is made into a useful bomber in 1938. In this scenario he also has the influence to control the adopted design of the aircraft. End result the Luftwaffe goes into France and the BOB with a very large heavy bomber to flatten the English factories and coastal defences.

That would be General Wever, there Healz. Whatever. Germany build kick-butt bombers at the expense of their fighter force, does more damage during the BoB, but loses more pilots/machines in the process, gives up, invades Russia, Japan attacks US, US gears up for.... Yadda Yadda Yadda... Germany and Japan lose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back