Your most memorable model kit! When you was a youngster ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hope there hasn't been a similar thread :rolleyes:

I'm now 45 years old and the years seem to go faster and faster by and because of the vast range of models
that can be listed on the internet, Many bring back the good memories of my child-hood and one such model
which took me well over a year to save up was a certain 'MASSIVE' Airfix motorbike kit and the box art was
a red racer and remember the box art well, I remember throwing away my model as I got to about 18yrs old.

It took me quite a while to find the exact kit in decent nick so went ahead and got it a by
christ did I enjoy building it and the memories flooded back it was unreal.

Hoping that some will have the same feeling and have any of you got an old kit newly built with pictures to add interest.

Here is my Airfix 1/8th Honda Road Racer 8)
airfixhondaroadracerbuild009.gif

HondaAirfixfinished007.gif

HondaAirfixfinished005.gif

Nice Ian!

A few for me, some purchased again 20+ years later, others not. As much as they bring back memories, most are simply way outclassed by modern kits.
Some examples from my childhood days, since superceded in quality (all 1:72):

Fighters: Airfix P-51D and Hs 123, Revell F2A-2 Buffalo, Hasegawa '70s tooling Spitfire Mk.I, Fw 190A/D, A6M Zeros, Harriers and AFVs (sdKfz 7/2, GMC CCKW-353, etc)
Most memorable bombers: Airfix Hampden and Revell Fw 200C-4. (Airfix Hampden bought again last year, and Revell new tool Fw 200C-8 bought a couple of years back)

Evan

For me, the Matchbox 1/32 SBD-5 Dauntless which I built with me old man and the old AMT/Mtachbox '57 Chevy Bel Air, which I think was the first model that I bought myself!

$T2eC16R,!)0E9s37F2DRBQiDOcBsrw~~60_35.jpg

25939SDC17501.jpg

This was mine,

Air T4 Hurricane Mk1.JPG

Not got the completed model anymore though.

There was the 1/32 Stuka with the snake on the side, (Matchbox?, Airfix?) the Lindberg HMS Hood that had the motor and moving main armament, my first Messerschmitt 109, (I still have it), the Wildcat, the Avenger, the Hellcat, the 1/32 Jagdpanzer IV, the Flakpanzer IV, the Sherman, the Lee, all Monogram. The Revell 1/28 Fokker Triplane. the 1/72 P.T. Boat, the U-99, the cut-away U-47. The 1/24 AMT trucks, International, Kenworth, Mack...
But the most memorable was the first, an Aurora Boeing F4B-4

When I was about 10 I built a Comet Model Airplane Co. "Art Chester Racer". This was a balsa/tissue rubber powered flying model. For some reason I will never forget it. And.... altho Comet went out of business in 1987, I can still buy the model on-line. I'm tempted...

Charles

Attachments

• 1030artchesterc8.jpg
    1030artchesterc8.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
That would be a really good one to do again Charles.
can't really think of anything off hand, but one which I do remember, from around 1960 or a little later, was the Hunter, in what seemed a large scale then (I think about 1/43rd scale), which might have been Lindbergh (a similar kit was later released by them, and, about 20 years ago, a crude copy, by Nichimo).
I remember it had a working ejection seat. This thing fired off, bounced off the Budgie's head, ricoched off a vase, and landed in the fire!
I seem to recall that the remains of the model were used for air-rifle target practice ......

Revell 57' Nomad. I was very young, It was probably the second model I ever built. Very complicated. Every thing opened, hood, doors, tailgate. I was way way over my head but I somehow managed to get it together and put on a cr@py brushed paint job with thick Testors metallic paint. Still remember it well. Probably the reason I went with airplane models.

Attachments

• nomadkit-vi.jpg
    nomadkit-vi.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 136
Revell 57' Nomad. I was very young, It was probably the second model I ever built. Very complicated. Every thing opened, hood, doors, tailgate. I was way way over my head but I somehow managed to get it together and put on a cr@py brushed paint job with thick Testors metallic paint. Still remember it well. Probably the reason I went with airplane models.

Sam Hollingsworth '57 Chevy Nomad Clone album

My most memorable kits are card ones of Mały Modelarz. However it would be difficult to say it was one kit only. I made ORP Orzeł twice and I enjoyed both of them. Also the WW1 planes Fokker DR.I , Se.5a, Fokker II, Morane, Nieuport were nice sets. The WW2 Morane MS.406 and Dewoitine D.520 , Spitfire Mk.V, PZL P-50 Jastrząb , H.P. Halifax and Il-2. Two kits with sailing ships , the galleon "Wodnik" and "Elbląg koga". All of them are still in my memory.

21970.jpg
41973.jpg
121972.jpg
21974.jpg

91973.jpg
111973.jpg
31972.jpg
71972.jpg
81973.jpg
51973.jpg

71970.jpg
121973.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, All,
Mine was the 1/48th scale B-17G by Monogram. I bought the kit on its 1st run. Man, Shep Payne's (sp?) weathering/battle-damage brochure fascinated me to no end. I read that thing at least 100 times. Shep's write up was what got me into really detailing a plane. I still have that brochure. It is yellowed, wrinkled, but still readable. Anyone know if they are including it in today's releases?
L8r,
Dale

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back