Your top 10 modern fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr said:
Wow. With a GE404 engine, Gripen is more in the league of the F-20. I can see why a plane that small would be a tough dogfighter. Also, I see why its use is somewhat limited.
Great comparison and you hit it right on the head!!!

The Gripen was designed for the defence of Sweden it does'nt have to go very far and would be basically a Air defence weapon its not really an offensive threat buts its STOL characteristics and its ability to deploy locally easily make it ideal for Sweden

pbfoot said:
The Gripen was designed for the defence of Sweden it does'nt have to go very far and would be basically a Air defence weapon its not really an offensive threat buts its STOL characteristics and its ability to deploy locally easily make it ideal for Sweden
Agree!! And unless another air force has a similar requirement, they ain't selling very many....

ozumn said:
the few times that i been on exercises when the f16 was the dogfight oponent the f16 sisnt stand a chance it was clear victory all the time.
26176-signature-avatar-page-lesofprimus-zzzbs-alarm.jpg

The Volvo Aero Corporation RM12 is a modular, fuel efficient, low bypass ratio afterburning turbofan in the 80 KN (18,000lb) thrust class. It is based on the General Electric F-404-400 which has attained several million flight hours in operations world wide - with several enhancements incorporated by Volvo including increased thrust and bird strike resistance.

ozumn said:
The Volvo Aero Corporation RM12 is a modular, fuel efficient, low bypass ratio afterburning turbofan in the 80 KN (18,000lb) thrust class. It is based on the General Electric F-404-400 which has attained several million flight hours in operations world wide - with several enhancements incorporated by Volvo including increased thrust and bird strike resistance.
And the PW-100-220 puts out over 10,000 pounds more thrust in afterburner - plus the F-16 has almost a 2 to 1 thrust to weight ratio over the Gripen....

Sweeden design a lot fo their own equiptment for their own use, and most of their kit is indended to fight a defensive war defending Sweeden's varying terrain, take the S-tank for example, designed by Sweeden for Sweeden it's so perfect for Sweeden no one else wants it, the SAABs are mostly the same, they're perfect for what Sweeden will be doing and for them that's all that matters..........

the lancaster kicks *** said:
Sweeden design a lot fo their own equiptment for their own use, and most of their kit is indended to fight a defensive war defending Sweeden's varying terrain, take the S-tank for example, designed by Sweeden for Sweeden it's so perfect for Sweeden no one else wants it, the SAABs are mostly the same, they're perfect for what Sweeden will be doing and for them that's all that matters..........
Agree - and I think our young friend here is somewhat clouded in what the Gripen could do outside the Sweedish military requirement. The Swedes build great hardware but they usualy have a specific purpose as shown here....

the question that you should be asking is what can thes Swedes ask of the F-16 that the Gripen can't do, if you base it on just what the Swedes want of an aircraft then the Gripen wins.......

ozumn said:
so what can the F16 do that the Gripen cant?
Simply - drop a lot of bombs and stay in the air longer. The Gripen is a better interceptor and dogfighter in my opinion....

I couldn't pass this up, as it definately wasn't a typo. It's not Sweeden, it's Sweden. I don't know why this extra E was implanted, maybe it's something English people do naturally as we seem to make "Eng-A-Land" out of England during the World Cup ... where the second A and third syllable come from I will never know.

They're Swedes, they speak Swedish and come from Sweden! And lanc has hit the nail on the head when mentioning Sweden's doctrine. The Gripen was designed for Sweden, which is a defensive nation. The only other nation I can think of that's in the same kind of situation and would benefit from Swedish doctrine, and equipment, would be Finland.

well 3 countries have it besides Sweden, and more will buy it

I have to agree with general opinion the thing is a defensive weapon it does not have any range figure out the cruising speed and range and it with combat load its maybe good for an 1 hour of flight making it basicly useless for larger countries with larger areas to defend it is however ideal for Sweden a smaller land mass with Swedens neutral stance.No major power has selected the thing nor will any because it is not the weapon system to suit a modern power and it probably because of cost and development will more then likely be the last combat a/c made wholely in Sweden even the Swiss with similar requirements to those of Sweden opted for the F18 and neither of your neighbours thought the 39 was a viable option. However it probably puts on a good air show

ozumn said:
well 3 countries have it besides Sweden, and more will buy it
Yea, Saab will sell a "few."

Total F-16S delivered or on order as of 2005:

United States Air Force: 2507 (some sold to other countries)
United States Navy: 40
Other air forces: 2401
Royal Bahraini Air Force: 22
Belgian Air Force: 160
Chilean Air Force: 10+18
Danish Air Force: 78
Egyptian Air Force: 220
Hellenic Air Force: 170
Royal Jordanian Air Force: 24
Indonesian Air Force: 10
Israeli Air Force: 382
Italian Air Force: 34
Royal Netherlands Air Force: 213
Royal Norwegian Air Force: 72
Royal Oman Air Force: 12
Pakistan Air Force: 40
Polish Air Force: 48
Portuguese Air Force: 45
Republic of Singapore Air Force: 60
Republic of China (Taiwan) Air Force: 150
Republic of Korea Air Force(ROKAF): 180
Royal Thai Air Force: 61
Turkish Air Force: 240
United Arab Emirates Air Force: 80
Venezuelan Air Force: 24
Total number manufactured: 4,426

That's a whole lot of Vipers. :shock:

Lanc and pb pretty much nailed it I think. The Gripen, like many Swedish weapons, was designed primarily with the defence of Sweden in mind. To that end, it fits the bill quite nicely. Ya gotta give the Swedes credit though. They design and build some class A stuff for themselves, and they certainly know what they need. The Gripen is a perfect example of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back