Your top 10 modern fighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Saw something similar to this on Discovery wings, so what do you guys think?

1- F 22 Raptor
2- Eurofighter Typhoon
3- Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker
4- F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet
5- F-15 Eagle
6- Saab Gripen
7- Dassault Rafale
8- Mig-29 Fulcrum
9- F-16 Falcon
10- Mirage 2000

I know its just gone out of service...but no F-14!?

And is the Saab Gripen really that good? Ive never really done any research on the Swedes and their planes.

Well it was just my opinion and no doubt its a great airshow plane and very photogenic. Just in my opinion everything does not revolve around American stuff, yes they have got some great kit, but the Tomcat is past it's prime.

Using the list that Chris gave as the basis I have made some changes and tried to give the thinking behind the changes. Its thin in places I admit but the decisions are close as so many of them are new.

1- F 22 Raptor
2- Eurofighter Typhoon
3- F-15 Eagle
4- F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet
5-Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker
6- Saab Gripen
7- Dassault Rafale
8- F-16 Falcon
9- Mig-29 Fulcrum
10- Mirage 2000

A very similar list. I moved the F15 up two as it has exceptional electronics an area where I believe the Russians are behind and are likely to stay that way for a while. This is also why I moved the Su27 down two places.
The F18 I moved above the Su27 because of its electronics but I don't believe it has the performace of the F15.
F16 and Mig 29 I switched for similar reasons. Also I believe that the F16 is better placed to improve and take on extra sensors and weapons.

To those who wonder about the Grippen, I believe it to be that good. All the displays that I have seen of this have really impressed and to a fairly large degree the plane has had inputs from companies which are well respected in their fields. I feel this ability to have input from other countries such as the wings from Bae, gives it the edge over the Rafael which is purely French. I have no evidence for this it must be said, but it seems logical and overseas sales seem to prefer the Grippen.

Interesting list Glider, still no F-14 I see.

Mine would be as follows:

1: F-22 Raptor
2: Eurofighter Typhoon
3: F-15 Eagle
4: F/A-18 Super Hornet
5: F-14 Tomcat (although now out of operational service in the USA it is still a very good fighter and more than a match for anything around)
6: Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker
7: F-16 Falcon
8: Saab Grippen
9: Mig-29 Fulcrum
10: Dassalt Rafale

Only left out the F14 as it is no longer in service. If it had been updated as per the F15 I would have it above the F18.
I think it was FJ that implied that everyone wanted to fly the F14, but no one wanted to maintain it.

Apologies to FJ if I got that wrong

Here's mine:

1- Lockheed F-22A Raptor -US-
2- Eurofighter EF-2000 Raptor -Europe-
3- Sukhoi Su-30MK Super Flanker -Russia-
4- Boeing F-15C/E Eagle/Strike Eagle -US-
5- Boeing FA-18E Super Hornet -US-
6- Dassault Rafale -France-
7- Lockheed F-16E Desert Falcon (Block 60) -US-
8- Chengdu J-10 -Chine-
9- Saab JAS-39 Gripen -Sweeden-
10- Dassault Mirage 2000-5 -France-

F 22 Raptor - no contest
Eurofighter Typhoon - easy second
Sukhoi Su-30MK (or Su-35 if you count it) - on current models the radar is at least equal to an F-15 and the Russian missiles are superior and can be fired from a greater distance, gave over for F-15.
F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet - I'm skeptical but lots of people seem rate it, so I'll give it a go on reputation until I'm informed otherwise since I haven't bothered finding out much about it.
Dassault Rafale - Better than most think, but French insistence on independance means they are limited to their own tech, that, while not bad, is not in the same leage as the big boys, same goes for Gripen.
F-15 Eagle - Former champion and past its prime, it doesnt have any missiles that can shoot from a long enough distance though which lets it down, as does lack of stealth features which exaserbates the situation.
Saab Gripen - Overrated IMHO, not much better than an upgraded current model F-16, if you include value for money the F-16 kills it. Only will be bought by those who dont trust the US and dont want to rely on the Russians/chinese.
F-16 - Old but they keep upgrading it with latest kit, good value for money now.
Mig-29 Fulcrum - Upgraded models fixed most of the short comings like poor range and upgraded the electronics (which are usually customer fit anyway) still an old design now, good in close but not so good at long range.
Mirage 2000 - Nice allrounder, but isn't really on the same level of capability as the rest, a generation behind now.

Could also include the F/A-18C here instead of Mirage 2000, also MiG31 though its more pure interceptor than multirole fighter. F-35 will probably be number 3 when/if it comes into service.

BTW Iran still used the F-14A so you could include it on that basis :D

Well heres mine:

1- F-22 Raptor
2- Eurofighter Typhoon
3- Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker
4- F-14 Tomcat
5- F-15 Eagle
6- Mig-29 Fulcrum
7- F-16 Falcon
8- F/A-18E Super Hornet
9- Saab Grippen
10- Mirage 2000

lesofprimus said:
but the Tomcat is past it's prime.
In the eyes of the US State Dept, yea, but in the eyes of the F-15 and F-16 pilots that lost in mock-dogfights to the F-14, I'm sure they'll tell u differently...

Absolutely.

Well now the Tomcat made it's case, I don't believe I saw the " JSF " on anyones list. Is it because it's primary mission is ground support?

The J-10 to me is a stolen design. It is too much like the Eurofighter in every aspect. We can not compare it though until they start mass producing it. It might be a decent aircraft but I dont think it will compare to the F-22 which is clearly going to be the best thing in the skies for some time to come.

Attachments

• j_10a_113.jpg
    j_10a_113.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back