Yugoslavian decals - a search rquest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
This is request that is related to my GB - 52 Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 build. I did not want to 'clutter' up the GB thread with this.

I have decided to build the SM.79 as a Yugoslavian (RYAF) version, specifically Black 14.

Searching the net to find Yugoslavian marking decals was successful, but not so much in being able to purchase; always out of stock. My fallback is to try and find a kit that has multiple marking options, like the Airfix BF 109E3-E4 has, buy one and pilfer the markings. The BF190E3-E4 kit is 1/48, the Marchetti SM.79 is 1/72, so getting one of those is out.

I suppose there aren't many kits like this especially 1/72s, but I thought I would reach out to see if anyone recognizes the markings, in their not used stash, that they can still identify the kit it came from?

Yugo Emblem.jpg

I can always fall back to Italian markings of even Russian or Romanian. But I would like to stick with RYAF Black 14.

Have you thought about scanning the 109 decals into your computer, adjust the size, and print out on decal paper. I usually make test print outs on regular paper to verify my poor math skills have found the correct size before printing out on decal paper.

Have you thought about scanning the 109 decals into your computer, adjust the size, and print out on decal paper. I usually make test print outs on regular paper to verify my poor math skills have found the correct size before printing out on decal paper.

Good idea. But, I no longer have a color printer. Also, the 109 decals were used on my GB-49 build, short of buying another kit, I believe I will try George's suggestion and email KORA. Thanks though.

Have you tried this site KORA DECAL-1/72 SCALE Aircraft decals (military) You'll have to email him about availability. I do like this one

And others

...and then Yugoslav

Prices @ 10.90$US to 13.90$US

I went ahead and emailed KORA tonight. There are at least 5 decal sets that have the markings that I want. Not sure of the scale though, although the 72xx may be a hint? Two of the decal sets include resin wheels, which I have no use for, but will be free to anyone who may want them.

I went ahead and emailed KORA tonight. There are at least 5 decal sets that have the markings that I want. Not sure of the scale though, although the 72xx may be a hint? Two of the decal sets include resin wheels, which I have no use for, but will be free to anyone who may want them.
IMHO these are the decals you need.
When I search for modeller's stuff I usually go to Scalemates and give a broad range for searching, e.g. Savoia-Marchetti. In the list with models, aftermarket, books etc. one can easily find decals which exist for this model in the desired scale. Luckily there is a hit. Below the item there might or might not be some market place offers or even private offers. There is an offer in this case and these decals can be ordered - see the first link.
Of course there might be other possibilities as well, but that's my "algorithm" to start a search.
Cheers!

IMHO these are the decals you need.
When I search for modeller's stuff I usually go to Scalemates and give a broad range for searching, e.g. Savoia-Marchetti. In the list with models, aftermarket, books etc. one can easily find decals which exist for this model in the desired scale. Luckily there is a hit. Below the item there might or might not be some market place offers or even private offers. There is an offer in this case and these decals can be ordered - see the first link.
Of course there might be other possibilities as well, but that's my "algorithm" to start a search.
Cheers!

That is the set that I emailed KORA about, the Dec7231 (KD7231). That and others similar to it, but for other craft. All I really need are the wing emblems. I can airbrush any other of the markings needed. Thanks for doing the search.

This is not good. My email to KORA came back as an invalid email address. I selected the hot 'Availability Email' link. I have now sent to another email address, found ine the 'contact' list. Here's hoping!

Hannant's in the UK have the Kora decals in stock, at £5.70, but there is a minimum order value, I think around £7, although this might not apply to decals for overseas customers
Failing that. the 1/48th scale Bf109 decals might work, as the SM-79 roundels would be larger than "fighter size" in 1/72nd scale.
For example, a roundel that is, say, 20mm in diameter on a 1/72nd scale fighter, would equate to 30mm in 1/48th scale, and therefore may be just about right for the larger roundels displayed on a 1/72nd scale bomber.

Int
Hannant's in the UK have the Kora decals in stock, at £5.70, but there is a minimum order value, I think around £7, although this might not apply to decals for overseas customers
Failing that. the 1/48th scale Bf109 decals might work, as the SM-79 roundels would be larger than "fighter size" in 1/72nd scale.
For example, a roundel that is, say, 20mm in diameter on a 1/72nd scale fighter, would equate to 30mm in 1/48th scale, and therefore may be just about right for the larger roundels displayed on a 1/72nd scale bomber.
Interesting solution! The wing decals on the 1/48 F 190 (the Yugo ones) measure approx. 22mm. The SM.79 Italian wing decals, that come with the 1/72 kit, are approx. 33mm. So, if anything the F 190 decals may be to small? How does one go about finding the ratio of the actual emblems applied to the air crafts? Will the KORA decals have it correct? Hmmm.

Great idea, thanks.

OK. Now this is crude, but gets me close? NOT allowing for the angle distortion, I measured the distance between the two green dots (wing width at that location) and the two red dots (emblem width). Coming up with a ration of about 68%. Measuring the models wing at approximately the same locations I get about 35mm. Applying the 68%, I come up with the decal diameter of aprox. 23mm. A little skewing of the ruler and it becomes 25mm. So the science is not exact, BUT, it does open the window for using the 1/48 F 190 22mm decals?

Decal Size.JPG

In these group builds, how are the finish, color and markings Judged? It seems that actual measurements can't be done by the judges, and photography causes distortions. A little info by those who participate, please.

That's a bit off topic but decals and paint are judged by quality of application rather than accuracy of subject. Otherwise all "what if's" would get scores of zero.

Back to finding decals for Ralph. I will check my stash but don't recall seeing any Yugoslavian markings last time I looked.

In these group builds, how are the finish, color and markings Judged? It seems that actual measurements can't be done by the judges, and photography causes distortions. A little info by those who participate, please.
You bring up some good points. Early on I was informed that pink and mint green camo jobs would probably not pass muster. However, the patterns are, in many cases, defined, and judgeable. Maybe, not some of the Axis imports, but certainly the standard issues were controled. I am curious, as kind of mentioned above, just what controls were used to mark those axis imports?

As said above, back to decals! But I will argue with the 'what-if' comment getting a zero. I would assume that this would apply to 'known, production, units? My ME 509 entry certainly was allowed.

You misunderstood. I meant that if accuracy was a scoring criterion then "what-ifs" would get a zero because they did not exist. We have been allowing fictitious subjects for years and they have always been judged on the quality of the work.
Yes, misread. I apologize. So, there may be some 'wiggle' room in decal size??? Assuming accuracy is not a criteria?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back