zero vs. 109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Japan had 2 Bf 109E-3's, one Bf 109E-7 and one Bf 109G

They also test the following aircraft from the Luftwaffe:

Arado Ar 196
Bücker Bü 131B Jungmann
Dornier Do 15 Wal
Heinkel He 70 Blitz
Heinkel He 118
Heinkel He 50A
Heinkel He 112B V12 / B-1
Heinkel He 100D
Heinkel He 116A
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-3
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5
Junkers F.6
Junkers F.13
Junkers Ju 86Z-2
Junkers Ju 87A-1
Junkers Ju 160
Messerschmitt Bf 108
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3
Messershcmitt Bf 109E-7
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-?
Messerschmitt Me 210A-2

I only posted those that I knew for sure.Do you have photos of these.Are you using Japanese or German records ?I know a few German aircraft never arrived in Japan.
Ed

Very cool - all your flying this weekend in a Hornet?

This weekend? No, I'm afraid not, but would love to be back in the cockpit. I'm attached to a major staff here in the Middle East, so no flying for me:(

In CVW-5, the best ranges are out of the local area (Kanto Plain), so it's either up to Hamamatsu/Misawa in Northern Japan, Osan and the Korean ranges, over to Kadena and over the Sea of Japan. For live ordnance, we went to Guam (can't carry live ordnance/live rounds over Japan), and that's the SOP. NAF Atsugi, where CVW-5 is based, is really small. FCLP practice has become restricted due to noise abatement, so it's down to Iwo Jima, and even that's not really a favorable location because there's no divert field. Iwo Jima is like being on the carrier- one runway and nowhere else to go if we have a bingo.

Actually I got my info from a few German books that I have.

I know the Germans sent a 163 to Japan by submarine.Actually two subs.The one with the plane parts was lost but the plans and engine made it.If you have any photos would you please post them.If you check the modelling section and my web page you can see I'm very interested in modelling these aircraft.Thanks,
Ed

Thanks!

I actually have Jet time - L-29 and more recently flew a Jet Provost. I'm waiting to get my type rating in the L-29, need a few more hours and a lot more money.

Nice! I would like to get back into a simpler airframe some day that can really show you what you are made of as a pilot. Newer combat aircraft with advanced navigation/communication, command/control, weps management suites, flight controls are great, but these airframes can make ones aviation skills atrophy, which is not a good thing [emergency procedures; flying the ball (yes, approach pass off to tower ALS; I still don't trust it!). It's like driving a bus sometimes, and I can see in the not-too-distant future UCAVs taking over. This is why I am so interested in the Flug Werk FW-190 A8/N.

Well, we know that the Japanese at least got plans as there is a Japanese plane that looks very similar to a Me-163 that was pictured in another thread. Worth a look at it.

Nice! I would like to get back into a simpler airframe some day that can really show you what you are made of as a pilot. Newer combat aircraft with advanced navigation/communication, command/control, weps management suites, flight controls are great, but these airframes can make ones aviation skills atrophy, which is not a good thing [emergency procedures; flying the ball (yes, approach pass off to tower ALS; I still don't trust it!). It's like driving a bus sometimes, and I can see in the not-too-distant future UCAVs taking over. This is why I am so interested in the Flug Werk FW-190 A8/N.
You're not the only active military flyer I heard that from. I know a lot of guys who have gotten out of the military and look to fly civilian jets just because of why you described. It just takes a lot of money or being in the right place at the right time...

You're not the only active military flyer I heard that from. I know a lot of guys who have gotten out of the military and look to fly civilian jets just because of why you described. It just takes a lot of money or being in the right place at the right time...

We had a number of commercial pilots in our Gliding Club and when I was in the Navy a number of fast jet pilots both of whom preferred the basic approach to flying.

As an aside the only people who had problems were trainee helicopter pilots who were eventually banned from flying gliders until they qualified. Partly this was due to the time it took up, partly due to it impacting their learning due to the visual cues being different and to be honest, partly because some of them were real know it alls who had to be taught a lesson and we were happy to do without.

If you get a chance to go to Japan, go to Kizarazu. They have some info on the Imperial Japanese jet aircraft from that era, since Kizarazu was the site that the Kikka made its maiden flight. It is there that you can find info on it, as well as info on other aircraft from that time.

The Satsuki and Matsu were the names of two IJM submarines that left Keil bound for Japan. What was onboard the Satsuki is unknown. The Satsuki was sunk enroute to Japan. The Matsu made it back with plans on the ME20 turbojet engine. Just pictures and plans. On Aug 07, 1945, the IJM made its first flight of the ME-262 inspired jet called the Kikka (Orange Mandarin Blossom).

The Japanese really did not have much in the way of jet-powered flight to go by with the exception of those plans and pictures. The rest was from their own ingenuity. At the end of the war in the Pacific, the American Tactical Air Intelligence (TAI) scoured the Japanese countryside for secret weapons being developed. In total, over 12,000 aircraft frames were found. Aircraft that could have turned the tide of the battle in the Pacific had the war stretched on into 1946, and US intel had no idea that these aircraft were being designed and built. On the ground? No.... the Japanese were building the aircraft to be launched from mountain air fields from INSIDE mountains. Jets that were being built to take out the B-29, task force killers and they were even experimenting with rocketry, etc. Did you know that the Japanese were the first to sink a submarine using a gyrocopter? It happened in 1944. They were called KA-1, and they were launched from freighters with flight decks. Anyway, just wanted to put more info out here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back