1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd hate to think how much a gunsight costs today Darryl !! It's all looking good there, and that compass really looks the biz, nice work mate.

Cheers Sir!!

I know this one cost me A$600 which was a bargain, even without the bulb holder...just look at Spitfirespares.com if you really want to get depressed. SpitfireSpares.com - warbird Gunsites
I thought I'd buy 2 of the 1940 ones, just to have a pair :rolleyes:

Or the Sutton Harness for a mere 425 pounds.

Brilliant stuff and VERY good service but pricey.

And just before I pack it in for the day....

The controls now painted and ready to drop in and wire:
controls1.gif

controls2.gif

The De-icing switch, the best alu part I have made so far , very pleased. The legend should get engraved this coming week.

deice1.gif

deice2.gif

deice3.gif

Really starting to come to life now mate. I wonder how worthwhile the 'market' would be for reproduction items for similar projects, or static display, or even flying warbirds/replicas? A gunsight, harness, seat and so on should be able to be produced at a reasonable cost, with a healthy profit margin, without being as expensive as the genuine article and, although not 'the same', would probably suit a high percentage of requirements. A bit like the reproduction items in the 're-enactment' groups etc.

Stunning work mate.

I have to say that its looking more like a 'Spit each time I see it. I keep expecting to see a write up in an aviation mag concerning its first flight !!!

Thanks Terry, Spitfire Spares do a bit of reprostuff but I had to restrict it to bits I absolutley couldn't make due to the extreme costs...gunsight holer frame $700...BUT it gave me the holder AND it gave me the curve for the front of the cockpit, and a guide on height, angle etc of the front. The IFF I could have bought but $300, so a couple of nights grief to make it myself was a pretty good tradeoff.

Cheers Gary, I STILL envy you a squarish structure and a floor.......b#%^**!!!:lol::lol: And no, you won't see a write up of a first flight..but you will probably see a video here eventually...

Aaron, appreciated mate! There are so many talented people here that is is a bit intimidating to post my work. I am saved a LOT by the camera, which really does my work far too much justice on many occasions. When I get to that Aifix 1:24 Spitfire that I have stashed, I think you will all see me in my true light...THAT one is going to look infantile compared to guys like Terry, Wayne, Lucky13 and a dozen others. And Gary's alu work is just frightening.

Hey mate,looking good.Yeah can,t see why there sheetmetal parts are so dear.Their P8 compass tray is wrong to begin with and at 225 pounds :(!!!Thats about $600 Aussie...
Spare bulb holder bracket for gunsight at what??? 135 quid with bulbs and holders?Only a bit of .040" about 5 inches long,two bends and three holes...
Might have to go into buisiness myself....

Cheers mate, yes I looked at the Compass Tray and decided to go the "15 minutes and some three ply" route. The globe holder is on my list of fab jobs....crickey!!!Eeven for a non mertalworker like me surely it cant be that hard to make two bends and cut three holes?????? 135 quid....I'll make one for ANYBODY for 125 *G*!!!

A hundred and twenty five quid? For a bl**dy bit of tin?!!!!
I know it's a (relatively) limited niche market, and small run, or bespoke work cost more, but that's taking the re-cycled Guinness a bit too far!!!
Get me some drawings, I'm going into business..........

An incredible piece of luck this afternoon....picked up the following for just $30 more than it cost me to make the replica!!!

Last time I had the oportunity to buy one it was A$900 and I saw one really bad condition that sold for $550.

type35REAL.gif

I am still shaking my head in disbelief!!

:shock:

Cheers Terry, actually I have a line on where I can get a Merlin for the cost of a plane fare and truck rental....but I'm going to need you to give me a hand with distracting security at BBMF and also undoing a few bolts??

I am hoping to have her almost finished (apart from some detailling which will probably go on for years!) between this coming weekend and the Easter break. The War Office has approved full work privileges for the whole 6 of those days and offered TA services as well. Now I just have to find out what that will cost me long term......

WO has also offerd to paint the office sky blue and make matching curtains over that period, to aid in "suspension of disbelief"

All in all, I'm a happy chappy just now!!

Spits, an email on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back