1/32 Albatros D.III – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys for the kind words. Okay camouflage gray for the tires does anyone have a number for MM paints or mixture thanks i still havent decided on the paint scheme Paul said something about the natural wood look ?

If you don't want to toil over painting you can follow the Richthofen's red Albatros.

59_58.jpg

35%2BAlbatros%2BDIII%2BRed%2BBaron%2Ble%2Bpetit%2Brouge.jpg

59_61.jpg

Jasta_11.jpg

img004_m.jpg

59_59.jpg

albd3_js11.jpg

Jasta_11_DIIIs.jpg

albatros-d-III.jpg

But I would follow the Werner Voss' one....

full-2942-13967-wvoss_albdiii1.png

59_44.jpg

untitled.png

48-1.jpg

full-2942-13966-vossd3e_original.jpg

full-2942-13990-voss20alb.jpg

full-2942-13991-voss_richthofen_family_visit.jpg

full-2942-13992-voss_richthofen_family_visit_original.jpg

VossPainting.jpg

VossRad.jpg

Voss02.jpg

Voss01.jpg

Voss700series.jpg

VossJune1917.jpg

Vossstbdrad.jpg

Also here is a nice site with a few of Albatros profiles...

WWI Aircraft Profile Gallery: WWI Aircraft Profile Gallery Albatros D.III

Last edited:
The Germans used "natural rubber" tyres, the color is a strange one. Generally speaking, it is an extremely light grey, although there are examples in museums that show a slight brownish tone and some a very slight pink shade. Most early D-III's were highly varnished fuselages on which the pilots then painted individual insignia designs. Love those D-III's!

Curious about the purple/mauve/lilac in the top wing camouflage. How effective was it? Having never flown over Europe and relying on GoogleEarth, I don't recall seeing whacking great gobs of those colors around the country-side.:p

Geo

Thanks guys, Wurger thanks for all the pictures and Paul for tire info. i got the seat and prop painted. now the cowl did not fit at all lots of cutting grinding but it is on now.

002-56_zps8db3c862.jpg

as you can see lots of sanding and clean up.

006-16_zps47a42c69.jpg

Love the color of the prop.
Very nice so far.

***It is a shame to cover that beautiful engine.
Hind sight. Would there have been a way to separate the top cowling to expose that wonderful work?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back