1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Black One" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello friends! It's been a while! My fishing trip was a bust! :oops: Spent two days on the tuna grounds off the backside of San Clemente Island. We found the bluefin tuna but it was hard to get them to bite. In addition to the sport fishing fleet, there was also a group of commercial seiners boxing the same general area so that probably made the fish skittish. I fished hard for two days and I didn't even get a bite. 11 bluefin tuna for 26 anglers. Zero fish for me. It was disappointing but that's how these things go sometimes. And despite the lack of fish, I had a really good time. This was an invitation-only private charter so most of the peeps were good friends of mine that I don't get to see too often since we don't fish as much as we used to.
hqdefault.jpg

I returned from the fishing trip to a busy work week so I didn't have time to do much work on Black 1. I stuck my head into the workshop just to see where I was at.

The drop tank has been repainted after I added the dents. I've added the stencil decals so the tank is ready for some weathering.
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

The drop tank was given a dark wash.
IMG_0161.jpg

It was allowed to fully dry before I started blotting with a slightly damp paper towel. Wiping motions were kept perpendicular to any panel lines to help keep the wash from being removed completely.
IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

The wing roots are in the process of being cleaned up. After the sprue filler, one round of puttying/sanding is complete and I've added another application of Mr Surfacer 1000 on the MG cover since there should be no seam here.
IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Another set of photos of the prop assembly against a darker background to check my work. I find that good digital photo documentation of the build are a great way to improve the quality of the work. At first, it can be pretty discouraging to see your flaws magnified but it will eventually tighten up your error tolerances and push your technique to higher levels.
IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

We'll be leaving on our family trip to Berkeley tomorrow so this build won't get revved up again until next week at the earliest. I hope that everyone is well!

Fishing is very jealous, the opportunity to be there, it counts a lot and enjoy escaping from the daily routine.
That fuel tank is beautiful.
May the family trip be a success and here we will see you on your return.

Saludos John y aprovecha los momentos. :thumbup:

The support is appreciated! A little bit of work on the Dora to report. After a flat coat to seal the wash, some weathering on the drop tank has been performed. Weathering to this point has consisted of very light post-shading of edges with a brown/black mix and chipping with several different colored pencils.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

The drop tank may or may not be done. I'm thinking about adding another layer of weathering to simulate fluid stains. From the archive pictures that I have, the Dora drop tanks don't seem to have the heavy fluid staining that the Bf109 tanks were apt to show.

While I'm pondering that decision, I am creeping along on the Dora main assembly. There is a portion of the fuselage bottom that needs to be riveted so I'll take care of that now. First with the pencil guide lines.
IMG_0241.jpg

The rivet lines are rolled on using the Rivet-R Mini. Along with the lines that run parallel to the fuselage, there are also some lateral lines of rivets that are also applied.
IMG_0242.jpg

The pencil lines are wiped off using iso alcohol. At this point, I found a little bit of seam work at the shimmed joint that needed to be done.
IMG_0243.jpg

After that bit of cleanup, I rescribed the panel lines and shot the area with primer.
IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Flipping the plane over, the wing root cleanup has gone through about 3-4 iterations and is ready to be checked with a primer coat.
IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Most of the cleanup work has been done on the Dora and I'm all almost to the point of starting the camo painting. Before I start painting, I have a few things to address including: (a) installing the windscreen and masking off the cockpit, (b) masking off the wheel wells, and (c) masking off the wing flaps. I'll also have to consider the order of the painting. I'm thinking of doing some hairspray chipping so I may deviate from my normal order to make sure that the chipping is done relatively soon after the camo paint is applied.
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

John, you're doing an extraordinary job in detail and the clean way you're working. That drop tank is real !!
Waiting with emotion and taste, the painting process.

Saludos campeón! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back