1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Black One"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good. The 82 was painted over the original factory applied RLM 75. Wondering if you'll show some wear of the 82 down to the factory coat?

Thanks for the comments guys. The hint about hairspray on a matte finish is noted, Kirby. And Andy... I've thought about the 82 over the 75 but haven't decided whether or not reflect that externally. Maybe some traces of it on the borders between the two colors?

A little bit of work on the canopy. After doing some light chipping to the greens using a damp paintbrush, I elected to show some fading wear using the salt method. One tricky thing about the salt method is the excess salt. Small remnants of salt can go white, especially after a flat coat is applied.

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Since the white is under a flat coat, I am assuming that it cannot be removed so I must use the green colors to fix.
IMG_0354.jpg

Inching onwward to painting, I've applied some white Milliput to the windscreen/fuselage join.
IMG_0355.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys! For many varied reasons, I have not had a chance to progress on Red 1 for a long period of time. Summer has been very busy for me, which is a good thing. When I last left the Dora, I had prepared it for painting by masking all of the openings. And on Sunday afternoon, I finally had some time to sit at my modeling bench for a bit. The base metal coat for chipping purposes was laid down along the fuselage sides and wing root area. I used Tamiya AS-12 Silver, which I "decant" from a spray can (another word for spraying the paint messily into the cup of my airbrush).

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

I will let this cure and then spray a couple coats of hairspray on to it before proceeding with the camo colors. Short update, I know but the project IS moving forward again!

Sorry for the lack of work on this one! Life has been very busy for us this summer, especially with my daughter moving off to college. Hopefully, I'll get back into the swing of things shortly. Andy... read your comment about the RLM75 peeking through the RLM 82. Not sure if I'll be using chipping to show that. I'm leery of doing multi-layer chipping on this one. However, I may show traces of the 75 at a some of the 82/83 borders.

After a few coats of hairspray were sprayed onto the silver and allowed to dry, I can continue on the pre-shading. I've heard some modelers argue against pre-shading panel lines but I like the results that it gives me. I also quite enjoy the act of tracing the panel lines with an airbrush... I find it therapeutic. It also forces me to look carefully at all of the model surfaces and I can catch some missed errors this way.
IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

The next step is something that I've come up with to give the camo finish some depth and irregularity. I guess you could consider it the inverse of black-basing, which I was trying to emulate. But instead of painting the whole model black and then scribbling the lighter colors on top, I scribble black on top of light. I'll also darken certain wear and stain areas such as gun troughs, ammo chutes, the centerline bottom, exhaust area, etc.
IMG_0460.jpg

The process takes a bit of time and tonight's session was ended here after my trigger finger started cramping up. I'll finish the pre-shading at the next workbench session and then I can start on the camo colors!
IMG_0461.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back