1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Black One"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the comments guys!

I couldn't get to the workbench yesterday due to extra hours at work. But fortunately, I have this Friday off so it's time to finish up my mottle pre-shade.
IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

It looks really funky right now but (hopefully) you'll see how this prep work enhances the camo finish. Carlos used the word "rough" and I think he meant it in a different way but I'd like to point out that this dense mottle pattern is laid down with a highly thinned gloss black and should be glass smooth. There should be no texture to this finish whatsoever.
IMG_0469.jpg

As you can see, I've also darkened some of the areas that I've previously mentioned. This technique will give me the ability to control the pre-shading effect from very obvious to subtle and all the way to zero, if I want to eliminate it all together.
IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

My only worry at this stage is the hairspray layer that is over the metal finish. Ideally, I like to do the chipping on a single color over the metal and do it within a few days after the hairspray applied. Due to my schedule, it will be a week or more of elapsed time AND I'll be trying to chip through 2-3 layers of paint over the metal. If it is not successful, I can do the chipping using another method.
IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Alrighty then... the preshading is finished and now it's time to start applying the camo colors. I'm going to go the traditional route and do the lighter colors first. This means RLM 76 on the bottom and sides. I've already made my own mix of RLM 76 using Tamiya Acrylics. This pres-hading technique works best with highly thinned paint. I use a thinner:paint ratio of about 4:1. It is very watery and it takes a bit of patience to build up the finish but it gives me the most control in dialing in my pre-shade effect and it goes on ultra smooth. The negative is that highly-thinned acrylic is very delicate and is easily scratched. I'm using a old but clean cotton t-shirt on my work surface to help reduce scratching. I also use a latex glove on my left hand to prevent oily fingerprints from marring the finish.
IMG_0479.jpg

Starting in a small area, I start laying down the RLM 76. It's important to always keep the airbrush moving to prevent pooling of the watery paint. You can see scratches on the black pre-shading but they are small enough not to warrant repair.
IMG_0480.jpg

I work gradually outwards, making sure to look at the finish from different angles to make sure that I am getting the effect that I want. I work each panel separately, generally spraying more paint on the inner portions of the panel than the edges.
IMG_0481.jpg

I am looking for a very subtle irregularity underlying the RLM 76 to give the paint some tonal variation/depth. This is a fun step because it will begin to reveal some previously hidden work such as the riveting and panel line re-scribing.
IMG_0482.jpg

Jumping over to the tail stabilizers, you can see the gradual build-up of RLM 76. Paint mix and patience are the keys here.
IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

It's better to apply less paint than too much. If you want to reduce the pre-shading effects, you can always add more paint but it is very difficult to go backwards and restore any lost pre-shading effect because of too much paint.
IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

This is where I've temporarily stopped to take a break for lunch.
IMG_0487.jpg

Very nice effect! What do you thin with? The Tamiya thinner or something else?

I thin Tamiya acrylics with 91% iso alcohol from the drug store. Works very well.

Ok... I'm on a roll now. After sitting on the pre-paint stage for weeks, I've suddenly got a whole day free to spend on the workbench and I am making the most of the opportunity. Didn't even go fishing this morning!

After lunch, I filled in the RLM 76 up the sides of the fuselage. I've left the pre-shading effect pretty heavy on the tail. After the camo has been applied, the tail, along with the underside of the engine cowling, will be painted yellow.
IMG_0491.jpg

The light blue is slowly crept up the sides, one panel at a time.
IMG_0492.jpg

I've actually gone too far with the RLM 76. I should've kept the spine unpainted for the future 82/83 colors.
IMG_0493.jpg

On the port side now, starting from the front.
IMG_0495.jpg

I primarily use black for my pre-shading but I'm sure you could get different effects/results if you used different colors.
IMG_0496.jpg

As you can see this technique lends a very interesting irregularity to the paint finish.
IMG_0497.jpg

My preference is for a subtle effect but I run the risk of having this effect "crushed" by the upcoming application of 82/83. Brighter/darker/contrasting colors will reduce the perception of the mottle pattern and this is something that you have to consider when applying the lighter color.
IMG_0498.jpg

We are just about done with the RLM 76.
IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

When looking at the model from afar, you won't be able to discern either the riveting work nor the pre-shading effects.
IMG_0502.jpg

A closer look will reveal those details.
IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

I'm going to let this cure for a while before proceeding to the next step. In addition to the 82/83 Greens on top, I have to think about the black-white fuselage stripe and the yellow tail and cowling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back