1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Black One"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! Why are all of my photos now showing as thumbnails and not full size?

The way of attaching of these images was changed. Not sure why but Horse is still working on the forum soft. So that's might be the reason. Anyway these works fine if you click on them.

Yes, but I prefer to see full size images in my posts. We should have that option, No? Going back and trying to EDIT doesn't work either, even though the editor APPEARS to give you a choice of inserting images as thumbnails or full size.

Just edited your recent post with pictures using two last ones. Both the manual editioning and the one by clicking the "Full image" button working fine at my end. Here you are the difference seen .. the top one - the current setting and the bottom one for the full image.

full.png

Thank Wojtek! I was able to edit my last post as well. But I had to do it manually AFTER posting. I don't see an option for FULL IMAGE when creating posts.

John.. the button always appears if you uploaded a pic. It is next to the Thumbnail one in the same line with the Delete button. By clicking the button you should get the pic of full size attached. If there is a problem check if your Adobe Flash is updated. Also if you try to edit your post the button is seen when you hit the More Options button only. Please make a focus on the way your pics are displayed. If you want to see the full text of your post instead of the text+images seen you have to switch to the BB code Editor with the small icon at the top bar in the top right corner.

full1.jpg

Last edited:
A little more work on Black 1 accomplished this evening after work. Since I have Jerry Crandall's great Dora book in front of me, I shall give some history behind Black 1 in Mr. Crandall's words:

"On 25 February 1945, when III./JG54 became IV./JG26, Hans Dortenmann would lead 14./JG26 (Black tactical numbers with White outlines) with his D-9 W. Nr. 210003. At that time, it would undergo major changes - a new blown canopy type 8-190.1025 would be retrofitted; the uppersurface camouflage was converted from 75 Gray-Violet to RLM 82 Bright Green resulting in a new combination of 82/83 Dark Green. Axel Urbanke, historian of III./JG54 has arrived at the same conclusion. The JG26 Black and White recognition bands were applied at this time on their D-9s. Each of the photos and recovered aircraft reveal these dimensions were not consistent and in most cases not always parallel. Over these sprayed bands, the old III. Gruppe welle (wave) markings were chosen for IV. Gruppe."

The black and white recognition bands are masked and painted at this time. Non-identical stripe widths per the color profile.
IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

The pre-cut masks for the Werk Number and swastika are put into place. Before I mask the tail off, I spray a few coats of hairspray.
IMG_0611.jpg

We'll let that dry thoroughly before masking.

I didn't do anything different but the photos are now showing full-size.

The trademark yellow tail of Dortenmann's Black 1 was the objective last night. The yellow for the under-cowling was masked off as well.
IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

Tamiya Yellow is one of those colors that do not cover very well. So I toned down the mottling on the tail using neutral gray. I don't want the yellow to perfectly uniform so I've left the underlying base ragged.
IMG_0614.jpg

The lower cowling, being RLM 76 Light Blue, didn't need any treatment and I sprayed the yellow directly onto the 76.
IMG_0615.jpg

Here is the tail. The yellow turned out ok on the port side but the masking tape lifted some tape off the white fuselage band as well as a bit of RLM 76.
IMG_0616.jpg

I fixed the RLM 76 first and managed to pull up even more of the white! The masks for the W. Nr. and swastika are removed to reveal the green mottle on 76. Hopefully the swastika mask and W. Nr. decal will fit into those areas.
IMG_0618.jpg

I ran into more paint lifting on the other side of the tail.
IMG_0619.jpg

This starboard side poses a bit of a dilemma for me. The paint edges continue to lift off of the plastic surface as if it doesn't have a good grip. Perhaps a bit of fingertip grease has compromised the original painting surface? I need to feather the paint edges down as much as possible so that the repair doesn't stand out but the paint keeps peeling off and the spot gets bigger and bigger. I sprayed the area with a bit of RLM 76 to gauge how noticeable the edge is. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and attempt a repair. This is a multi-layer area topped off with hairspray between the RLM76/82 and yellow... very tricky to correct. :headbang:
IMG_0620.jpg

So isn't the hairspray your problem?
Maybe but I don't think so. The paint peeled all the way to the plastic. On the tail, that is four layers underneath the hairspray: black pre-shade, RLM 76, RLM82 mottle, and Alclad Aqua Gloss. And no hairspray on the white fuselage band. I'm thinking it has to do with my thin paint mixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back