1/32 Hasegawa Thunderbolt II, GQ-N 134 Sq RAF, Ratnap, Burma 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys! I'm going to be starting this beast shortly, but I have a few questions. As my model will be of an RAF Thunderbolt II, there are a couple different options for both the props and some panels on the underside of the wing. I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to P-47s in general, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just found out that it was a P-47D-25-RE if that helps.

fcm32006.jpg

Here are the options in question (minus the props).

10109827z3.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect Glenn will be the best guy to answer your post Cory but I'll start off with what may be limited help based on a half hour review of my Squadron book. The D-25 is the first bubble canopy model Thunderbolt. The RE designates that it was built at the Farmingham plant, one of 3 plants that made them. The other two were Evansville (RA), and Curtiss (CU). I have 3 view drawings for the D-21 and D-30, but not the D-25. Parts F1, F2, and F3 apply to the D-30. G1, G2, and G3 apply to the D-21. Parts F2 and F3 appear to have the dive brakes that were added with the D-30 model so I suspect you want the G1 and G2 parts for your D-25. I don't know if the D-25 would need parts F1 or G3.

The prop would be the Hamilton Standard Paddle Blade type with the rounded hub. The others you may have have likely have a straight cuff and pointy hub.

Thanks a lot for the info Andy. Actually none of the props I have are squared off (4 came with the kit), 3 are cuffed and one appears to be the one you are referring to. I have lots of decent photos of RAF P-47s, but none of them show the prop overly clearly! Here are the best ones:

3612727734_ab6c83f23c_o.jpg

134academy_b17_046.jpg

large (4).jpeg

Both the "Jungle Queen" and the photo with the drop tanks in the foreground appear to be the uncuffed Hamilton Standard I think you're referring to, however the RS*B aircraft looks like it has the cuffed paddle blades. It is also a -25-RE.

I'm using this site for the serial numbers, I've used it for F4Us in the past as well. I suppose I don't know how valid it is, but it seems to be:

worldmilitair

Last edited:
Andy's right with the parts choices for the D-25. You should use Part G-3 (the one without the light) for the lower outer wing panel. The light was moved to that location when the compressibility flaps were installed in the location of the lights starting with the D-30. As for the prop, in that pic that George posted it is defiantly a Curtis Electric cuffed propeller (more pointed hub). There were several types in a couple of diameters. That one looks like the symmetrical blade one. If you have a choice of two prop diameters I'd pick the largest one for a D-25. I believe the smaller ones were all on Razorbacks. I don't know what your cockpit parts look like, but you should have the corrugated floor for a D-25 with the earlier style control panel. I have a lot of cockpit pictures, if that will help you I can post some.

Thanks for the info Glenn! I'll post what props I have, I suppose that would be easiest. I can look around the net to see if there are any good photos of an interior to save you some trouble. I already know it does not have the corrugated floor, as that is apparently a weak point of the kit mentioned in reviews.

Here's the parts layout with all of the parts (grayed out is not for use, but included).

10109827z8.jpg

OK Cory Here's what you've got:

(N) Curtiss Electric Original
12'-2" diameter cuffed prop with pointed hub cover and pointed blade tips. Used on all Thunderbolts up to the P-47D-21-RA

(L) Hamilton Standard Paddle Blade
13'-1 7/8" diameter cuff-less prop with rounded hub cover and rounded prop tips. Installed on D-22-RE models and up at Farmingdale.

(M) Curtiss Electric Symmetrical Paddle Blade
13'-1" diameter cuffed prop with pointed hub cover and wider blades of a similar shape as the Hamilton standard prop. Tips not quite so rounded but not as pointed as the original Curtiss prop. First installed on D-23-RA models.

(Q) Curtiss Electric asymmetrical paddle blade
13'-1" diameter cuffed prop with pointed hub cover and a deeper curve to the trailing edge of the blade. The tips are slightly more pointed that those on the Curtiss symmetrical paddle blade. Not sure in which model they were first installed on.

This doesn't necessarily mean that a P-47 of a certain production block must have a certain prop on it. There was much changing of prop types when the aircraft were serviced, but I think it unlikely that an aircraft originally with one of the 3 paddle blade type props would receive the earlier original Curtiss prop. That pic George posted is cuffed and has symmetrical blades so I would go with (M)

Good stuff Glenn. I noticed a couple of differences in the camo pattern between the photo and Cory's decal placement sheet. Also, the fin serial number looks different than the sheet, almost looks yellow to me. Still trying to find the port side of this crate though I have found a couple from the same squadron.

Geo

I dug through my reference pics and unfortunately all the cockpit shots are of D-30s, D-40s of razorbacks. I did have some copies from manuals that might help so I posted them here. The color pics are of the cockpit of the razorback they have at Duxford years ago when they had the seat out. The floor and side wall were pretty much the same in the D-25 and the panel close enough (Except for that thing over the top of the panel) In 1/32nd scale it shouldn't be too difficult to add plastic strips to the flat floor to match the corrugation pattern.

Attachments

• AN01-65BC-1A_CanopyControls.jpg
    AN01-65BC-1A_CanopyControls.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 209
  • AN01-65BC-1A_Fig37_D28panel.jpg
    AN01-65BC-1A_Fig37_D28panel.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 189
  • AN01-65BC-1A_Fig39_CockpitRight.jpg
    AN01-65BC-1A_Fig39_CockpitRight.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 202
  • AN01-65BC-1A_Fig40_CockpitLeft.jpg
    AN01-65BC-1A_Fig40_CockpitLeft.jpg