1/32 Italeri F-104C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

F-104nut

Staff Sergeant
Dec 14, 2011
Wichita,Kansas USA
Well time to build another model of my favorite plane the awesome Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. I have always been fascinated with Kelly Johnson's aircraft and the F-104 being one of them. This is the really great 1/32 Italeri kit. My only issue is the ugly wheels and burner nozzle. Thanks to Eduard Brassin resin they fixed it. I decided to go on a detail frenzy on the office. I added knobs and switches landing gear lever . to the tub. Also some detail added on the coaming. Office is now ready for paint.

Cheers Brian

Good stuff. I would have thought, with the price of this kit, they would have made a better effort with some of the detail. I have the old Hasegawa kit in the stash, to do as a Dutch one some day. Just working on the old Revell 1/48th scale kit at the moment, to be followed by a conversion of the old ESCI kit.

1/32 Italeri F-104C buttoned up. Fit is really great. Can't ask for better then that. All the extra detail I add to the interior has made a big difference. I prefer if I can do extra to kit cockpit versus fighting with a big chunk of resin it's much easier.

Cheers Brian

Last edited:
Nice work, and I agree with Andy. Most jet exhausts I've seen have had a greyish-blue exhaust gas deposit over the metal colour, burned into the metal by the terrifically high temperatures, like this Lightning and MiG 23.

Attachments

• C Fest 095.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Czech 013.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 144
I think you'll find that's the limitations of the printing process, combined with the lighting when the photos were taken. Take a closer look at the photo on the right of the page - although there's a slight green colour cast, if you look 'through' this, you'll see the grey and base metal tints. The colour cast could even be the effects of lighting in the room where viewed, reflecting off the inks on the page.
I've looked at many, many jet exhausts over the years (I know, it's sad!), including the J-79 on, for example, Phantoms, and I've never yet seen a green example, they've all been a metallic grey shade, with some exhibiting a slight pinkish brown 'haze' where oxidation has occurred if left out in the open at, for example, a museum.

Users who are viewing this thread