1/32 Tamiya Corsair II, 1836 Sqd, FAA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would fill the hand hold first using styrene, sand smooth, then drill for the scoop.

Cory, I would not scale up from what I used - it happened to be what I had at the time and it looked about right. A better way would be to use the photo you posted above. Because it is almost a profile, I would suggest you do the following:

1) Zoom your photo and measure the horizontal length of the scoop and the horizontal length of the sllding canopy
2) Divide the length of the scoop by the length of the canopy
3) Measure the length of the canopy on your model
4) Multiply the length of the canopy on your model by the ratio you calculated in 2) and you will get the length you need for the scoop.

You are getting a very beautiful work Cory, enjoy and learn a lot of advice, tips and suggestions from colleagues. I have a Corsair in my cellar, but 1/48; So it will be excellent references your desk.
Still pending of progress and congratulate you on what has been achieved so far.

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

I did a little bit! Here are some update photos. Scoops are made out of 3.2mm hollow styrene rod, then covered in almost see through styrene sheet. The bottom scoop is made out of spare PE slats (I'm actually not sure what they are) from my dad's 1/200 Bismarck. I'm going to sand the paint off of it still. I haven't cleaned anything up yet obviously. The side scoops aren't glued in yet, and I actually can't pull them out as it's too tight and I can't get a grip on them, but I can push them in and they fall out the landing gear well.

DSC_0172_zpsg0d3ddpf.jpg

DSC_0173_zpsrbnj2oou.jpg

DSC_0176_zpsuhovaxnk.jpg

DSC_0177_zps7rrvzmr2.jpg

DSC_0174_zpsoffl6cxf.jpg

DSC_0175_zps4jwwthet.jpg

DSC_0178_zpsae18tdoe.jpg

DSC_0179_zpsdncty7vc.jpg

DSC_0181_zpsmpdchm4q.jpg

I've also painted many of the engine parts. I want to wire the ignition harness and have the appropriate wire, but last time I tried it failed miserably. Any tips?

You did well Cory. I like using lead wire or solder for stuff like your ignition wires as it bends so easily. Cut to length, CA glue one end and, once the glue has set, bend the wire and glue the other end. Easy Peasy. If you use regular copper wire, it;'s a bit more tricky as the wire is much stiffer. In this case, I would drill holes in the cylinders at the plug ends. Insert the wire to a good depth and CA glue it in. Then bend and glue the other end to the ignition ring.

Thanks gents, and thanks for the tip Andy, I'll make sure there's lots of glue on them. They'll also sit overnight so I should be good. I actually glued them to the back of the ring as I was having the same problem with them falling off by glueing directly to the attachment point, and you won't be able to tell once everything's assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back