1/32 Tamiya Corsair II, 1836 Sqd, FAA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So I have purchased yet another Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A, which will be converted into a Royal Navy Corsair II by adding the ventilation scoops, clipping the wingtips (which are separate in this kit which should make things easier) as well as any other changes in the cockpit. The subject I will be doing is JT 410 (T8*H) flown by Lt. Don Sheppard, the sole confirmed Canadian all Corsair ace. I had thought a Leslie Durno was also Canadian, but I've seen conflicting information saying he wasn't Canadian. Anyhow, Sheppard made 5 of his 6 claims in this aircraft (two of which he was given half credit for shooting down with Major Ronald Hay, the only Royal Marine ace of the war). Here's a breakdown shamelessly stolen from one of Andy's old threads.

sheppard-victories-png.png

Here's an excellent three part writeup about him:

Navy Blue Fighter Pilot – Episode One > Vintage Wings of Canada

Navy Blue Fighter Pilot – Episode Two > Vintage Wings of Canada

Navy Blue Fighter Pilot – Episode Three, Until the Bitter End > Vintage Wings of Canada

The aircraft in question looks like this:

Episode2_3_63.jpg

I have been unable to find a single photo of this aircraft though, so I'm uncertain about a couple of details, mainly (and most pressing due to the need to gather materials) which type of tire to use, the plain tread or diamond tread. Looking through photos it seems most had the plain tread, however one photo I've found of an aircraft from the same squadron in February 1945, 9 aircraft later in production, has the diamond tread. So if anyone has any photos of the aircraft laying around and wants to post it, that would be lovely.

I have gone back and looked at what Andy used for one of Sheppard's later Corsairs during the BPF era and procured those paints, however the bottom colour was vague in that thread. Do you happen to recall exactly what grey you used Andy?

I will be using Eagle Editions decals for this, with BarracudaCast wheels once those are figured out, and likely some RB productions belts for the Sutton harness. I'm debating getting a replacement cowl flap set that has more detail and comes with some for the front ring and engine, but that adds another $30 to an already $160 kit, and the area isn't that noticeable. I may also have to find another gunsight, what kind do you guys think this would have in Early 1945?

Thanks guys, and thanks for the pic Geo. Yeah, that's tough to see but personally I'd figure they're both plain? I'll dig through some PDFs I have and see if I can find anything else. Unfortunately the best reference book around doesn't cover this, which is understandable since they'd constantly be replacing tires.

Beauty Geo, everything seems to line up! I assume there's no date assigned to the photo itself? Do you mind if I post it here?

Thought about this overnight and if the photo lines up with the above history, the "T" wasn't added until after the incident. As mentioned in the email, I read something about when the "T" was added to the squadrons. Off to find the book.....

Geo

Yeah, the accident definitely isn't the same one in the photo, if only because one of the wheels is still intact. I too will do some more digging, though you tend to find things in place I've never even heard of!

Nope, couldn't find anything else unfortunately, other than more confirmation that it probably had pain tread tires just by the fact that I keep finding more pictures of FAA Corsairs and I've still only seen the one with the diamond pattern.

Here's the code change date...

Untitled2.jpg

From - Osprey "Corsair Aces of World War 2 - Mark Styling

So....read into that what you will. Perhaps they were late putting it on one aircraft.
Regarding the damaged wheels in the history, maybe the strut parts were damaged and everything changed out

Geo

Beauty, thanks Geo. Looks like mine will have the full set of codes since I want to do it around the time of the first Palembang raid on Jan 24, 1945. This is the decal sheet, so I have lots of options for the codes.

Eagle Cals 163: FAA Corsairs, reviewed by Scott Van Aken

As for the crash, the dates don't line up since the wheels got wrecked in February, and the photo shows the two letter code as you know.

Some good info here.
The photo showing the wheels/tyres is difficult to be certain about. They could both be worn diamond tread, as there's a feint pattern showing on both, although the lack of any tread pattern visible on the tyre shoulders suggest they are both plain tread.
Regarding the gun sight, as far as I know, British sights were fitted when the aircraft were fitted with other British equipment, such as the seat harness and radio, and this would more likely be the standard (MkIII?) reflector sight, although being so late in the war, it's possible that the GSGS gyro sight, already in use in the ETO on RAF fighters since early 1944, might have been fitted.
See if you can see the sight on other photos, through the windscreen - if it looks big and rectangular, then it's the GSGS !!

That looks like it's got the folding sun-shade on top of the sight, which would make it the GSGS - the sight from which the American K-14 was developed, basically the same to look at.
But, see if you can find some other shots, just to be sure. I'll have a look also, although I don't have that much detailed info on RN Corsairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back