1:32 Trumpeter TBM Avenger Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Since the request to super-detail the hinge area, I put out the word to TBM3fan on the World Affairs Board.com where I'm also posting this build thread, to see if he had some detail pics of this area. He sure did. Disclaimer, a dark sea blue TBM has dark sea blue on all exposed areas including struts wheel wells, and the inner wing areas you can see. Therefore, this restored aircraft's colors are wrong. But they do provide a brilliantly clear image of all the details.

Restored%20TBM%20WIng%20Fold%20Detail.jpg

Here's that area on his own plane. Nothing like having an owner to get the facts right. Talk about doing research. Can you imagine trying to get this information without the Internet and without posting on sites like these. It makes all the effort of documenting all this worthwhile.

This is the actual coloration. The wings lock by a hydraulic pin that extends out of the cylinder in the upper left. The lever below is the manual release used when the engine is off and no hydraulics are available. The wings fold by two additional cylinders pushing against one another at the hinge line. There are sequencing valves that keep things from getting out of time since the flaps have to engage each other. Ailerons were hydraulic so there's no physical linkage that needs to thread through the wing joint. I am amazed that one pin in one lug keeps the wings together. It just seems so inconsequential. Armed with these details, there's no reason why I can't add some more pizzaz to this critical detail. Note too, that all the piping on the real plane is painted blue too or is rubber gray. The museum plane is certainly prettier. I may combine them both.

TBM%20WIng%20Fold%20Detail.jpg

You may have been kidding, but I was thinking about it already and you pushed me over the edge.

I started piping the fold area. I'm using that micro tubing to fake the fitting. I believe there are some resin plumbing fittings that I saw at the hobby shop. I have to check them out before I get too far into the weeds. But, even so, when painted, it should look reasonably complicated. After all, we're just shooting for the illusion of gadgetry, not a workable product.

The tubing size is ridiculous, and this wasn't the smallest size. The smallest telescopes into this one. For the junction block I actually drilled two cross holes into a one-size larger tube to insert the small tube. All is held with CA. I actually entertained the thought to solder these connections. I held that thought for about 5 milliseconds. I scraped all the molded details which this special chisel from MicroMark.

I've been having trouble loading pics through PhotoBucket. Are there any other photo sites that are more stable? PB keeps freezing, runs terribly show and seems not to be worth the effort. I'm now trying Google Pictures. Let's see if it works any better. It certainly loaded faster. Didn't work as noted by the question mark box, but Photobucket did work better so here's the images.

Piping%2001.jpg

And I did get two tubes installed.

Piping%2002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fellas,

I finished (as much as I'm going to) putting piping on the left wing joint. The little round tubes aren't exactly what the fittings look like, but they give the illusion that there's more there than just a tube.

Detailed%20Wing%20Fold%20Left.jpg

I decided to go with stripped wire insulation from the 24 AWG wiring since the tubes needed to look flexible like hoses and not pipes. I'm going to paint it all dark blue so, even though the color matches the museum version with the red piping.

It took two work sessions to do one joint. The right side should go faster now that I actually know what I'm doing.

Looking good. Almost everyone here downloads directly from their computer. I have a folder dedicated for this site and I upload all my pics there to be resized or discarded. To much chaos occurs with photo bucket. I have to go back to some of my threads here and reload some photos from my computer if I can figure out what they were

Love the detailing, my vote is to leave some color in even if not technically accurate, it sure adds visual interest. As to photo bucket, I would switch to just uploading pics directly. Resizing is fairly easy and that way the board is responsible for hosting them.

Thanks guys! Glad you appreciate this added, crazy work.

I'll be taking some time off from the TBM project. The laser cut parts for the Bernhiem 1870 Distillery model arrived today and I have to build it for a client. It's going into the Heaven Hill Evan Williams Bourbon Experience here in downtown Louisvile. Here's the photo from which I designed the model, and the one that's sitting on my railroad.

01%20Original%20Berheim%20Bros%20Distillery.jpg

Distillery%20Complete%202%20sm.jpg

The picture hangs in lobby of Heaven Hill's Lousiville Distillation Plant. It was one of Isaac Bernheim's distilleries and the picture dates from 1870 and existed in Pleasure Ridge Park (a S.W. Louisville suburb) and was razed during Prohibition.

Picture was imported into SketchUp where I produced a scaled 3D image. This was then exported to Illustrator to make 3-view working drawings which were then laser cut to make the "kit". Model is mostly MDF, Masonite, thin ply or Laser Board. All the fancy Victorian stonework is layered ply.

The prototype took many months to complete due to working through lots of kinks. This next kit should go togehter much faster based on the number of errors I found and fixed, the reduction in parts count and the use of 1/4" MDF, istead of 3/16 Masonite for the main body. The MDF is smooth on both sides with enabled the bricks to be engraved on both sides eliminating a lot of overlay pieces to add bricks to the back edges of certain parts.

A multi-part article on its design and construction is being published in the next issues of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back