1/32nd scale Mosquito FBVI conversion.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps, glad you like it so far - another few months might see it finished !
Might not get much done today - off to a country market and car boot thingy !

I somehow missed this thread earlier Terry. Fantastic work! You sure know how to make a lot of work for yourself! This is going to be a real interesting one to follow!

Thanks Glenn. Not much to report at the moment, although the canopy mould has received another coat of clear gloss and has been lightly sanded, ready for a further coat. I should be able to get back to this next week, after finishing the Dak for my friend's Dad's birthday.

Thanks Gerry. It all hinges on getting the canopy moulded and the fit right. The rest is fairly straight forward, having had the experience of scratch-building a PR interior on a previous kit, and correcting the engine nacelles etc. The nose area might take a bit of doing, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually !

great build there Terry. It looks like you plan to vacuform the canopy, is that right? How do you intend to make the frame work for the canopy? If not sure, I have a suggestion but knowing you, you probably have it all figured out. :)

Thanks guys. The canopy will be heat formed, using the male and female moulds (haven't got a vac-form machine).
The external canopy frames will be painted tape, with the internal tubular frames made from either wire or plastic rod. The last time I did a canopy on this kit, the internal frames were wire fixed to the inside of the canopy, but this time I'll probably fix them to the fuselage first, hence the need to get the canopy fit correct before proceeding further.
I'm currently working on polishing the male mould, whilst looking for the clear plastic sheets I've put somewhere safe ...... !

Terry, have you thought of using the male mold to form the internal cage? After you successfully form the canopy, cut some slots in the mold and bend some wire in the slots. Just a thought.

I was going to suggest something similar to that. One of the books I have suggests molding not one but two canopies. The one would be for the glass obviously but the other would be cut and trimmed along the areas where the canopy frame would be. Then the glass part would fit inside the cut and trimmed frame part. Since they are from same mold they should fit together nicely. Actually, its how Special Hobbies do their canopies. Hope this would be helpful.

Problem is, the Mosquito only had a 'solid' external frame on the forward section, with the remainder being internal, thinner, tubular supports, to which the Perspex was attached with clips and rivets. To get the fit of the internal parts correct, the wire will be formed by bending and shaping inside the moulded canopy, then fixed firmly to the inside lip of the cockpit. That's the plan anyway ..... !

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bill !! Still polishing the canopy male mould, but might try a first moulding later tonight, as I eventually found the missing clear sheet - I thought it had joined the 'invisible' thread !

Terry, if you can, post a bunch of detail shots on how you do this canopy. I'm very interested in the process and have never tried it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back