1/32nd scale Mosquito FBVI conversion.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Bob. I'm currently working on carving the 'male' mould for the canopy - sod of a job to get right !

To make the canopy, essential to do now as this 'controls' the whole build, a 'male' master mould first has to be made. The first step is to draw the outline of the plan and side elevations onto a block of balsa, then cut this out and shape it.
PICS 1 and 2. The profile drawn onto the balsa block, traced from the scale plans.
PIC 3. The raw 'blank' after cutting from the block.
This will now be sanded to shape, checking continuously against the scale plans, to achieve the desired shape. The 'male' mould needs to be slightly less in its all round dimensions, to allow for the thickness of the clear plastic sheet which will be used for the moulding itself, and any thinning of this sheet, due to stretch when heat-moulding, has to be taken into account.
Once the required shape is 'spot on', the 'male' mould will be sealed with a number of coats of polyurethane clear gloss varnish mixed with talcum powder. A final coat of clear gloss will then be applied, and, when fully hardened, this will be highly polished.
This is the part that can often go wrong, as it's easy to make a cut too deep, or sand-off too much, so I won't be surprised if I have to start all over again !
When this stage is complete, I'll then make the 'female' mould, and mould the canopy, and post explanatory pics at that time - I hope !
Thanks again for your interest, more in due course.

Attachments

• Mossie 32 scale 020.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 020.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Mossie 32 scale 022.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 022.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Mossie 32 scale 025.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 025.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 157
Thank you my friend !
The initial carving and sanding is under way and, after around three hours work, the 'male' mould is starting to take on the canopy shape.
First one side is carved and sanded to the approximate shape, and the bottom edge rebated, then the other side will be carved and sanded to match. When this is done, the final shape will be sanded, checking the profile with templates cut from card, allowing for the thickness of the clear sheet to be used for moulding.
Still a long way to go yet !

Attachments

• Mossie 32 scale 029.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 029.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Mossie 32 scale 030.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 030.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Mossie 32 scale 031.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 031.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 147
Third stage completed, with the 'male' mould now carved and sanded to the required shape, and the 'female' mould cut.
PICS 1 and 2. The 'male' mould, ready for fine sanding. When this is done, the varnish and talcum powder mix will be applied, to seal the grain and build up a smooth surface. It is essential to have a completely smooth, glass-like finish, as any imperfections will be transferred to the moulded part.
PIC 3. The 'male' and 'female' moulds, awaiting sealing (male) and varnish (female), the latter just to make the frame stronger.
I haven't yet decided whether to incorporate strips of masking tape, sealed with varnish, to create the external frames on the canopy.
Once the varnish and talc has been applied, it will be allowed to harden for a couple of days, before fine sanding and polishing.
Thanks again for your continued interest, and I'll post the next stage when it's done.

Attachments

• Mossie 32 scale 033.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 033.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Mossie 32 scale 034.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 034.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 181
  • Mossie 32 scale 041.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 041.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 182
Thanks very much David and Alberto, it's very much appreciated.
David, thanks very much once again for providing this kit - bet you didn't realise what I was actually going to (attempt!) to do with it !!
Anyway, it's going to be a very long job before any proper construction starts - and that will be a totally scratch-built cockpit - I hope !

are really doing hard work on this conversion, I like how you take it, I look forward to more progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back