1/32nd scale Mosquito FBVI conversion.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like the canopy moulding process.

This also got me wondering about whether it's possible to use a household vacuum cleaner and other items to do Vac forming?

Last edited:
Thanks Karl and Herman.
It should be possible to use a vacuum cleaner motor, or a fridge compressor, reversed. The important part is the actual 'suction' and the frame itself, which must use equal area draw down.

Thanks Hugh, it's appreciated.
A little more progress has been made, in between sessions at the easel. Having test-fitted the pilot's seat, I found that the fabricated support was too low, so this was ripped out (literally!), and a new one fitted, more substantial, and higher up the bulkhead. The flare racks and flares have also been made and fitted, along with the fire extinguisher and a few smaller items.
PIC 1. The flare racks and flares, made from plastic rod, plastic strip and foil from a yoghurt container, and the fire extinguisher, from shaped sprue, and a length of stretched sprue flattened at the end. To the right is the beginnings of the 'new' seat support, and the sanitary tank has also been removed, fitted in a slightly higher position later.
PIC 2. The new seat support and the higher position for the sanitary tank. On the shelf can be seen the Morse key, transformer, regulator and basic wiring.
PICS 3 to 5. The pilot's seat cemented in place.
PIC 6. The relief tube and funnel for the sanitary tank under construction. A hole was drilled into the tip of a 1/48th scale HVAR missile, and a length of telephone bridging wire superglued in place. Once set, the bulk of the missile body was cut off, creating the funnel, and this will be fitted under the pilot's seat later.
Next step is to finish the relief tube and fit it, which I think is going to be fiddly, and then paint the main cockpit area, before making and fitting the seat harnesses. Then it's time to move on to the difficult part - scratch-building the cockpit fittings and instrument and switch panels.
Thanks once again for your continued interest and support, and I'll try to post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• Mossie 32 scale 087.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 087.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Mossie 32 scale 091.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 091.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Mossie 32 scale 099.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 099.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Mossie 32 scale 100.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 100.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Mossie 32 scale 104.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 104.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 187
  • Mossie 32 scale 097.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 097.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 159
Looks fantastic Terry. I'd really like to get a look at the references you're using for all that detail. Would the set-up be similar on a B Mk IV as that's what I have in my stash?

Thanks very much Andy. Some of the references are from 35mm transparencies I took in the 1980s, of the now lost, BAe operated T.MkIII (similar to the MkII and FBVI), plus memory and first-hand accounts from former crews. The others are from pics found on the 'net, and the Squadron Signal books. I'll send you the books via e-mail, when I get a chance, along with the 'net pics. Afraid I've loaned my transparency scanner to a friend, so might be a delay getting the slides done.
The MkIV was similar internally, although some fittings were in different places, due to the requirements of the bomber, and of course there was the extra stuff in the nose compartment. However, I have a drawing of the latter which should clarify most things. Pity I also loaned-out the PSL book on the Mossie - to a friend in Denmark! That had a load of detail info.

Thanks very much David! Bet you didn't think you'd start me off on a marathon scratch-build job!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back