1/32nd scale Mosquito FBVI conversion.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've finally managed to get around to doing some more work on the scratch-building, although slightly plagued by frustrations.
I had hoped my recently acquired punch set could be used to make the various sections of the instrument panel but, although neatly punched holes can be achieved, the soft plastic tends to 'dimple'. So, back to drilling I thought, then discovered I seem to have misplaced the relevant sized drill bits!
These things always seem to happen over a period when the shops are closed, so hopefully I can pick up some bits tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the internal cockpit sides have had the moulded detail removed, such as it was, and the kit part for the instrument panel has been filed and sanded to remove the raised detail. The panel will be used as a backing for the individual sections, which will be made from drilled plastic sheet, slices of tube, wire etc. The 'extra' panels and switch consoles on the starboard side of the main panel will also be added, as will the various controls, instrument and switch consoles on the cockpit walls.
More just as soon as there's something worthwhile to show.

Attachments

• Mossie 32 scale 105.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 105.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Mossie 32 scale 106.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 106.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 139
Thanks chaps. I got the drill bits today, and have started laying out and drilling the various panels. This part is going to take some time, as constant test-fitting is needed, but at least I've got over the 'modelling lethargy' which seemed to have enveloped me for the past week or so!
I'll post some progress pics when there's something to show.

A little more progress has been made with the main instrument panel, although there's still a lot to do.
PIC 1. The layout of the instruments, the individual panels and switch panels were drawn onto plastic card, then drilled as required, before being separated into their individual components.
PIC 2. The separate panels are here shown roughly aligned to check fit, lightly tacked into place, before being cleaned-up and cemented into place.
PIC 3. Work on the panel so far. The bomb door lever, landing gear and flap levers have yet to be made and fitted to the rectangular panel on the right (with 3 small holes drilled), and a separate panel with the engine starter switches, prop feathering buttons etc has yet to be made and fitted to the top right corner.
Still a long way to go yet, and I hope to post some more within the next couple of days.
Thanks for your continued interest in this project.

Attachments

• Mossie 32 scale 107.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 107.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Mossie 32 scale 109.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 109.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Mossie 32 scale 113.jpg
    Mossie 32 scale 113.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 139
Thanks very much chaps. The rough outer edges have now been cleaned up, and work is underway making the rest of the panels, switches and levers.
More soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back