<> 1/48 Arado Ar196A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I finished the splinter pattern and applied a gloss coat which is now curing.

If I were to do this model over again, I would consider painting the pontoons and then touching them up later. With all the struts and bracing wires it's just impossible to get the airbrush in tight to complete the intricate pattern. I have settled on the best that I could do and can say that, generally, areas where I could not get in tight are also areas that are hard to see so it's difficult to pick up the demarcation between the two colours in these areas. As long as there is one of the greens covering the area, I'm satisfied!

There are a few spots on the underside that I need to fix and before doing so, I wanted to get the uppers glossed as the paint is so easily scratched. Like others here, I have never been fully satisfied with my gloss coat quality and, some time ago, I had picked up some Vallejo Acrylic Gloss Varnish from my LHS. I decided to give this stuff a try on this project but on reading the directions found that the stuff is not meant to be sprayed on. So I went with the recommendations and used my softest brush to apply two coats. It turned out to be much glossier than I could ever achieve spraying Future but there are a few brush strokes visible that will probably disappear once a flat coat is applied.

17110201.jpg

Of course, the colours look quite dark with the gloss on but this will lighten with the flat as well. I'm happy with the colours.

As mentioned, the gloss coat has enable me to flip the model over and support it without worrying about scratches marring the upper paint. The feathered edge of the wrap-around upper colour with the blue undersides needs to be straightened and there are a couple of spots where I got some paint sneaking under the masks on the tail plane and on the white theatre band. These are easy fixes.

17110202.jpg
17110203.jpg

With the model set aside to cure, I st it aside and did some work on my 109 for GB 36. Thanks for looking in again.

Looks the biz Andy.
I've been considering getting some Vallejo matt varnish, but if, like the gloss, it's not supposed to be sprayed, I might have to think again !

Thanks guys. Terry, for further info, I did try to spray this stuff, just to see what would happen and it clogged up the brush within a minute. The finish came out as what I would term a semi-gloss, though nice and smooth. It may be sprayable with the right combination of pressure and water thinner. I just didn't pursue it any further when I saw the finish coming out like it did.

Thanks again everyone. With some primer drying on my 109, I turned to my Arado and fixed up the areas noted above and started on the decals. The hatch on the spine was also masked and painted. Though there was a decal provided for this, I decided to mix up a tan colour (the kit decal was a desert yellow) and shoot that on. I'm not sure why this panel was in the lighter colour but pics definitely confirm that this was the case.

17110601.jpg

As mentioned at the start of this build, I was not sure that the aircraft depicted by the kit decals had a single-colour scheme or a two-colour splinter scheme. To remove all doubt, I decided to go with the well-photographed 7R+HK which definitely had the splinter scheme. For this, I did have some decal options from my stash but both involved some custom cutting. One set had a white outline and the other set was slightly too large. I chose to go with the option of trimming the white off the later set, given that one of the H's was going on a white background anyway.

17110602.jpg

As it turned out, these old decals were getting a bit brittle and, despite using a new scalpel blade, there was some tearing along some of the edges. The decal also broke in two when I applied it and there was a fair amount of jostling to get it to the position shown below, which is slightly off the center of the white band. I'm not 100% satisfied with this but at this point I will need to accept it.

17110604.jpg

The kit decals are nicely printed and here's the squadron shield for 2/SAGr 125. The decal is applied over a recessed hand hold so, as you can see, it conformed nicely with setting solution. The close-up also reveals some overspray form the underside touch up painting that I'll need to remove. You can also see the unevenness of the gloss coat as the brush marks are evident. I'm confident though that a matte coat will hide this finish.

17110603.jpg

I have yet to locate some swastikas of the right size as none were provided with the kit. I alos need to do something about the W. Nr. which is stated to be 210 in some photo captions. More digging through the stash......

Thanks Wojtek and for your "like" Terry. I did some more on this model today after priming the 109 again.

I found some swastika decals in my stash and these turned out to be just about right, if not just a tad too large. First off, a shot of the whole model and then a close-up of the swastika. Pardon all the fibres from the tissues I've been using to settle the decals and sop up the water.

17110701.jpg
17110702.jpg

The H on the right side turned out "Meh" with some very thin remnants of the white edges still seen. I may yet address this somehow but not sure.

17110703.jpg

Not all of the stencils are called up on the instruction sheet, though they are numbered as part of the general applications for all versions. Fortunately, picture references confirmed the presence and locations of these.

17110704.jpg

The underside decals thankfully consist of only the crosses and a couple of H's that I also stole from my leftover stash. These are now in place having been placed over a locally applied gloss coat.

17110705.jpg

The leading edges mentioned earlier have now been fixed as best as I could. This pic give you an appreciation of who tight it is to get the airbrush up close.

17110706.jpg

Thanks again for following guys.

With the 109G-14 done I want to get this project out of the way as it's close to being finished. In between work sessions on the 109, I painted the trolley using various shades of grey over 02 and did some hairspray chipping with Alclad steel underneath. There should probably be some rust but my ground crew have been sanding it off in prep for a repaint. ;)

The Arado itself got a panel wash, wipe and then 2 flat coats. The first was with a Model Master Acrylic Flat coat but this got quite dusty on me as it needed a lot of coverage to dull the very high gloss underneath. I could also still see the brush strokes of the gloss finish so I mixed up a batch of Future with Tamiya Flat Base and went over everything again and this time I'm satisfied with the result. The canopy masks were then removed and I have yet to start touching up the frames. Chipping with a silver pencil has been done and I think I've gone as far as I want to with that now. The rubber bumpers on the front of the floats were just brush painted as it was a very tricky mask job.

I've actually lost my mojo with this build and it's showing in a few sloppy places on the finish that I just have no energy to fix. I've been unhappy with the quality of the kit itself from the start and that's holding me back from going the extra mile to get things perfect. I'm down to adding the fiddly bits now and will be happy to put this one in the back of the display cabinet soon. Here are some pics of where we stand as of today.
17120301.jpg
17120302.jpg
17120303.jpg
17120304.jpg
17120305.jpg
17120306.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back