1/48 B-17G - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you all for looking in and giving me feedback. I'm having fun and that's what it's about.

OK here is what the guns look like. The black on is the kit gun, and the grey and brash is the TD with the brass barrel attached. Vote for which you think is best, It's a rigged vote because I already know which way I'm going but I'm interested in what you would do.

Also when Monogram released this in 75 they neglected to have a Cheyenne tail turret on it. By what I can find only the vary earliest G's would not have it. The G models were sent from the various factory to United Airlines Depot at Cheyenne Wyoming, hence the name for the tail turret, and retro fitted until they were installed at the different factories. When Monovell release the Pro Modeler they updated it with the Cheyenne turret. I was able to lay my hands on one so I will have to do a little more surgery and cut the tail off to replace that. The Cheyenne tail B-17 is just a little bit shorter then the rest of the series.

Guns1.jpg
guns2.jpg

Last edited:
The difference between the basic tail and the Cheyenne tail. Well I guess the moral of the story is don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see. Of the three flyable B-17G's I have been around, two Houston area based and the Collings Foundation, only CAF Texas Raiders only one has the Cheyenne tail turret. All have staggered waist gunners so I may be making a big to do out of nothing. Not having seen Tondalayo's tail (well Heddy Lamore's yes but) well anyway.

image1 (2).JPG

Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 109.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 110.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 112.jpg

Meet my son Ervin, he is now 22 years old.

DSCN0061.JPG

liftoff_1000x480.jpg
318251_3972832289473_801125869_n.jpg

Last edited:
Kit guns are certainly better than in my kit, bought in the late 1980s, which have plain barrels. I agree with Andy, brass are better, but there's not much in it.

Thanks guys, I started collecting to build the B-17 over a year ago and have been holding off till I was ready, this build looked right, I agree the kit guns look pretty good, but they seem a little large. To do it over again, I would not get the brass barrels but I have them now, SOOOOOOOO.

As mention before the tail turret is the question area, the only thing I have to go by is this profile from Martin Bowman's "B-17 Flying Fortress Units Of the Eighth Air Force (Part 1)". So I was able to lay my hands on the Cheyenne Turret and gunners window from a ProModeler B-17G that came out in 1996. The glass framing is different also as it is rounded instead of blocked. See paged above for comparison . I want to be able to do another Cheyenne tail in the future so I am making a two part mold to make replacements. If anyone needs one let em know.
20160317_172848.jpg

20160317_171731.jpg
20160317_171740.jpg

Using the kit guns because they look pretty good and saving the brash and resin for a bad set on another kit. Poured my first cheyenne turret, not too bad, a little clean up and will be pretty good. Keeping org for other things.
20160318_170135.jpg
20160318_170144.jpg

Is that some kind of rubber mix for the mold?

Yes it is RTV mold making compound. You can get it at Hobby Lobby and us the weekly 40% off coupon. it is $29.99 before the coupon. so it is cheaper then online. I use their Alumilite brand stuff and you can get a whole started kit with the RTV mould making and the resin for about the same.

Just got back from running up to Austin. saw Dale, he's doing OK but the alligators are nipping his butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back