1/48 B-17G - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
IMG_3583.JPG
IMG_3583.JPG
Username: Donivanp
Name: Don
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Monogram
Model Type: B-17 G Flying Fortress
Accessories: Eduard and True detail sets and brass gun barrels

Last edited:
OK so I've been having some time following through with the GB's, Been with out a job since June of last year save for a month Aug -Sep. Driving me up a wall and to be honest, I have not really been into the last couple and should have stayed out. I don't like to duplicate anyone else build but I have been building up for this (the kit, not the GB) for about three years and the time is right. So for that I apologies to Jeff, though I know that is not needed, still I do.

The B-17 was the most iconic war plane of WWII, (I know my opinion), and though not the best aircraft, (even in it's category), nore the most mass produced, (even in it's category), when people are asked what aircraft comes to mind in WWII, the B-17 is most likely to come to mind. I know I am stepping on toes here of my friends of other nations but It is true. The Lancaster was a better bomber in payload and endurance, the B-24 flew longer and with a larger payload and was the most produced Heavy Bomber of WWII. the list goes on but the fact still remains, Boeing got the publicity.

The B-17G was the last in a line of WWII Boeing bombers, many hard lessons were learned and incorporated in to this variant. The thing that most people will note though is the chin turret as the iconic lines of the bomber were changes.

The subject of this build will be B-17G 42-31367, Chow Hound, using the kit decals. Delivered from Boeing in January 1944 with a crew of 2nd Lt. Jerald L. (Newqie) Newquist, Pilot; 2nd Lt. Joseph (Russian) Green, Co-Pilot; 2nd Lt. Lamond J. (Buck) Bailey, Navigator; S/Sgt. John K. (Judge) Callaway Left Waist Gunner; S/Sgt. John (Boots) Weddle, Ball Turret; T/Sgt. Joseph E. (Bing) Bentzel, Engineer; S/Sgt. Richard J. (Sparkling Richard) Pries; Radio Operator; S/Sgt. Charles L. (Chile) Nuse, Right Waist Gunner; S/Sgt. Roland R. Michel, Tail Gunner and S/Sgt. William J. Carlson, Bombardier. They were to fly the aircraft for more then 30 missions and to complete their tour of duty.

1Lt Jack Thompson Pilot took over with his crew, 2nd Lt. David J. Nelson, 2nd Lt. Charles F. Bacigalupa, 2nd Lt. Charles Sherrill, T/Sgt. Henry F. Kortebein, T/Sgt. Blake A. Treece, Sgt. Richard R. Collins, Sgt. Gerald F. Gillies,
Sgt. Warren D. Godse until it demise over Caen France 1 August 1945 where it was hit by flack. 6 of the crew were killed in the crash. 3 of the bodies were found and recovered in August of 2006 and buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

08.08.1944 322BS 91BG B-17G-15-BO 42-31367 1st Lt. Thompson

chowhound.jpg
index--element13.jpg

B-17G_42-31367_Chow_Hound_of_91st_Bomb_Group_over_Berlin_on_March_8_1944.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shall use what I feel makes sense out of the PE, I make no bones I don't like working with PE but some times it is what is right. I will use as needed again of the resin as if the kit parts look to do the job better I will use them.

IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG
IMG_3591.JPG

Nice one Don. Lots of scope for interior detail, although not much can be see.
I staggered the waist windows on mine, which still needs a few finishing touches, mainly the bomb doors, which I cut open, with extra detail scratch-built. The brass guns will make a lot of difference to the overall appearance.
The pic below gives some idea of the size - an impressive model when built. This was done about 25 ears ago - and still not finished !!
models 10 -08 018.jpg

Well there was bad news, then good news, then bad news and good. I started on the True details interment panel and went to glue the throttle on to it and dropped the throttle in the carpet. Well it took over an hour and the good news was I found 6 parts form the F-111 I never thought I would see again, but as is the bad news, I could not find the throttle. I gave up thinking I would back up and use the kit parts, they are pretty good even as old as the kit it. I went off to play a game and take my mind off it for a while. After an hour on the game, I turned around and there it was standing up on the floor saying don't use the kit use me. the middle item in the set of three is the throttle.

IMG_3585_1.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG

True, oh how true, we shall call that the book of model John chapter 1 verse 1.

OK so I have been working on the two True detail sets I have. I like the forward section and the basic cockpit. I don't like the side walls for the cockpit though as they have the insolation, which might be ok for a new aircraft according to the Boeing photos I have, but for a aircraft that hs over 40 missions on it's belt no I don't believe so. I do though like the O2 bottles in the cockpit, That will have to stay. I think I will be doing more of the Edward sets then I had planed. The bomb bay (weapons bay) I will do the Eduard set befor I cut. I dont like it but I do want to open the bay.

IMG_3596.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG
IMG_3598.JPG
IMG_3599.JPG
IMG_3600.JPG
IMG_3601.JPG
IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3605.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back