1/48 B-17G - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Don.
The PE bomb bay doors alone are worth their weight in gold - it's the scratch-building of the internal frames on the doors which has delayed me finishing my model. Such resin and PE parts weren't around when I built the model.
On mine, I opened the bulkhead doors at either end of the bomb bay, and the radio room door into the waist area, as well as the entrance to the nose compartment, and opened both crew entry hatches.
With the bomb doors open, and empty bomb racks, this allows more light into the interior, and at least some of the added details can be seen, both through the various windows and hatches, and through the bomb bay if the model is viewed from underneath.
The slight 'downside' on my model is the lack of colour contrast in the interior - later 'G' models had clear-lacquered alloy walls, no paint or primer, except on bulkhead frames, so it looks a bit bare in places, although the painted areas, and the 'wooden' tables and nose compartment floor, do give some highlight.

OK so I was (still am ) scare of the bomb doors but I really want the bay open. Here is the start. I know the glue is a bit heavy but I'm working on that. I'm using Garter Grip glue so it's easier to work with and cleans up better. Any way. I taped the door ribbing down as I cut it out then folded it. I expected it to break but it work fine, no problems. Now after I get the two attached well I have a billion sway bracings to attach.
IMG_3611.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3615.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3620.JPG
IMG_3622.JPG
bomb door1.jpg
Bombdoor2.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 134 - Copy.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 137 - Copy.jpg

Here is some update on the True Details resin kit. The interment panel is just tacked on for size fitting but looks good. The cockpit wall though are covered in aircraft insolation, this would be correct for a new airframe coming out new but I think not for a plane that had see over 40 mission. I have not decided to fully incorparate them as yet. THe O2 bottles will go in for sure.

IMG_3623 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3624 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3625 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3626 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3628 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG
IMG_3630.JPG
IMG_3632.JPG
IMG_3633.JPG
IMG_3635.JPG

Good stuff so far Don.
From what I've seen in period photos of operational B-17s, both the 'F' and 'G' models, the insulation was present on the the cockpit walls either side of the pilot and co-pilot, or at least in the areas not covered by switch panels etc, but the remainder of the interior was bare, unlike the earlier 'E' model.

Ok I cut out the forward and aft crew hatches and the bomb doors. The cockpit/nav station is coming along nicely save for I fead the carpet monster again and this time she did not give up the dead. Not to worry it was a simple card stock fix. and I placed one section of the replacement nav interior which comes in four sections. rt top and lower and left top and lower. After dremel sanding the original detail down and course sanding afterwards . The Eduard bomb doors are basically done but I don't like them. they are flat and do not contour to the shape of the fuselage. I used the kit turret control as the true details would have me use the mount and the handles and just replace the control, the added detail (If any) I just did not feel warranted the change. I am also using the kit seats as I don't like the TD seats and mounts. I cut the head rest off as they should not be there in the first place.

crewhat.JPG
fwdcrhat.JPG

cpt1.JPG
cpt2.JPG
cpt3.JPG

bdstat1.JPG
bdstat3.JPG

seats1.JPG
seats2.JPG

I would like to request a change in Aircraft ID from Chow Hound to B-17G 43-37516 Tondalayo, from the 406th Night Leaflet Squadron. Tondalayo was an all simi-gloss black B-17G with markings for the 305th BG flying from Cheddington, and was shot down by accident the night of March 4 1945, a victim of Flak aimed at a fleeing enemy bomber that collided with the fort over Clacton-on-Sea. Col Aber ordered his crew to bail out as he and Lt Harper attempted to bring back the plane. They could not and died in the crash.

Kit World decals for the subject.

P LtC Earle J. Aber,Jr.- Pilot (KIA)
Maurice J. Harper – Copilot (KIA)
Paul S. Stonerock - Navigator
Connie R. Morton - Boardier (WIA)
Richard W. Billings - Observer

EMs:
Edward F. Valley - R.O.
Maurice J. Silber- Gunner
Stanley Dombrowski- Gunner
Ralph W.Ramsey- Gunner
Fred W. Thomas,Jr. - Gunner
Joseph A. Trexler,Jr. - Gunner

Aber-Tondalayo.jpg
B-17G_tondalayo_2.jpg
KW48043a.jpg
KW48043c.jpg
tondalayo.jpg

tondalayo (1).jpg

OK by me, and a great choice - don't often see an overall black Fort.
A slight problem though - looks like Tondalayo had staggered waist windows, with the 'plain' perspex, rather than framed.

I know the waist has to be staggered and the Squadron replacement plexiglass I believe is correct. Noted those already. The kit plexiglass nose is correct, just have to move the left waist window forward.

Last edited:
It's easily done, Don. The removed plastic can be used to 'plug' the kit window aperture without problems, and the windows can easily be made from clear sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back