1/48 Bristol F.2b / Davidson RFC – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Too late now I guess....Alligator clips!

Too much strength of the jaw clamp, would bend or even cut the wire it's so fine. The wire size that is twisted to make the buckles is just one strand of copper from the inside of a fine electronic cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm getting back to this one and starting the rigging. One thing that concerned me was loosing my buckles to the Carpet Gods. I read in a thread that to prevent loosing these itty bitty parts he had a black towel on the workspace. But these little buckles and tubes would even get lost on a towel. Today I spent 5 bucks on a cheap black T shirt, and will use this. At least the parts won't bounce off the table now, like they usually do. Just wanted to post this tip!

Tomorrow if I get a chance, I will start putting silver thread thru buckles!

I sailor on.

I used an A5 sheet of green card Bill, showed up the buckles and thread and was a good background for the threading.

Good luck with the threading and keep the thread ends cut clean.

Just doing the tubes on the buckles this morning and the T shirt is working a treat, would have lost the first ten pieces fur shur. With the smooth fabric of the shirt, when I drop a piece it just sits where it drops.

I pick up the tube with the clamping tweezers, the buckle with needle nose tweezers, insert and glue with thin SG. I found if I put a bunch of both out on the shirt I can pick the longest buckles for the tubes. Some of the buckles are parts of a mm longer than others, as well as my cutting of the tubes. The tubes that are just a bit long I file down with a micro file before inserting and gluing. Working out well so far. I,ve gotten 30 done in less than an hour!

I sailor on.

Attachments

• GB16 F2b Dvdsn 12.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 88
Doing good Bill.

I note though that you are doing a different process by putting the buckles into the sleeves. It will be interesting to see what your next step is.!

Vic, I'm doing a version I have found on a 2.b on the web. The turn buckle is mounted fast to the base of the strut, the cable thru the eye and then clamped. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• GB16 F2b Dvdsn 13.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 80
Figured that would be your idea Bill, I had seen the same thing but decided to go with a process we used for the rigging of a land yacht in my land sailing days.

Here's a bad picture of my first buckle and wire ass'y. Just 50 more to go!
I've got the turnbuckle on the wire loop thingy. Thread thru a 1.5mm piece of tube, then thru the wire loopy thingy, then back thru the tube and crimped. Sorry for the bad picture.

Attachments

• GB16 F2b Dvdsn 14.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 74
Just finished the first turnbuckles on 53 wires a few minutes ago. So tomorrow...... drilling before gluing the lower wing and tail feathers on.

I'm shakin in me old boots over this..... can't put it off no longer.

Users who are viewing this thread