1/48 Eduard I-16 Type 10 "Spanish Republican Ace"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Chief Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,
My D-520 is finished (pics soon I hope) and as you know, there is no chance that I participate in the GB#40 because I only build WW2 fighters
Heuuuuu, OK, not only WW2, sometimes I also build pre-WW2 fighters
And this is the case !

The project is I-16 type 10 flown by Manual Zarauza Clavero with the Eduard model kit.
The kit

The project

This build will be from the box with with some corrections and improvements
But I already have a question: the cockpit color ? I always thought that the cockpit color of these early birds was clear blue/grey (or undersurface color) with black controls. But it seems that A14 is most probable (at least for the I-16)

No problemo. Done.
Thank you Wojtek

Here is the beginning
Cockpit access door cut ut and some other little details...

The other parts will be modified too for another build: I-16 type 10 flown by Jose Maria Bravo Fernandez.

Check out this site Steph...I-16 family
The Massimo website is very usefull for VVS fans, but unfortunately, I didn't find any detail about I-16 cockpit color. Massimo gave me some very interesting links to help me

IMHO for the cockpit you should use the A-14 Stalnoj - FS 26187 that was used for pre-war assembled planes. for the period of 1940-41 many I-16s had the AII Gałuboj (blue) - FS 25466. Many planes had the cockpit interiors of the primers : wood - Aerolak FS 26320 - 26176, metal - primer ALG-5 ~ FS 34670

Um, I'm confused. What's the other kit you have on the go there?
Andy, the other kit is for another project that I'm building in the same time => I-16 type 10 CM-249 flown by Republican Ace Jose Maria Bavo Fernandez during Summer/Falls 1938. This kit will be improved with CMK exterior resin set.
By the way, I wonder if I will not rather present this montage with the CMK resin kit...................?

Steph,
I found the following information in Erik Pilawskii's 'Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours
1941-1945'. This book was published in 2003.
Page 14: " Some new evidence (largely the work of the M-Hobby authors), and
recent examination of physical samples, has revealed that in the 1930s, many VVS
aircraft were finished with an interior aviation lacquer named A-14 (FS26187) and
there was a nitrolak version dubbed A-14F. A-14 laquer was labelled 'steel', and it
had a dark grey colour somewhat like AMT-12, with a hint of green."
" In the late 1930s some factories began to paint their interior - especially on
aircraft with unfinished metal surfaces or painted with aluminum dope - with AII
Aluminum (FS17178) lacquer, " " The 1940 Camouflage Directive and the NKAP
recommendations that accompanied it, must have thrown the matter into utter
confusion at some factories. True, steel tubing, armour plate, and other metal
structures were being coated with Metal Use Primer far back into the 1930s
(or even before) and continued to be so; but when factories decided to paint
the interior surfaces a uniform colour, the NKAP recommendations were a
muddle."

Personally, the above information I find a little confusing. But I hope that
it might help you.

Notes:
1. Metal Use Primer is a mix of FS3464 - FS35622. Erik continues by saying,
" There is no good match in the FS system for this colour; if white and grey is
added to FS34350 it may be possible to mix the correct shade." Erik lists the
color as Munsell Colour Match: 10.0G/9.10/6.0.
2. I have no idea what the Munsell Colour Match guide is.
3. Erik Pilawskii is a very opinionated author, in my opinion.
4. Erik is somewhat biased when comparing Russian aircraft to other nation's.

Hope to see your builds soon, Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread