1/48 FW190A-5 Hans Philipp's "Miinke Pinke' (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Gents,

Much appreciated.

Andy, if are you are referring to the mg151 covers yes they are a big challenge
With this kit. They are very thick. What you are seeing is not a gap but the slight shadow cast by the gun covers because they are overscale a bit due to their thickness. For my next Eduard build I am going to thin these out to make them sit more flush with the wing.

Last edited:
Gnomey, Chunk,

Thanks for the kind words much appreciated.

As previously mentioned the MGFF covers are a bit too thick for the scale but they are not that far off and I kind of think they are close enough. Here's a reference pic.

Fw 190 D-9 Brown 4.jpg

Dave,......................................................................THAT LOOKS GREAT SIR! Just spent the last 45 minutes going through this thread, and you've done a marvelous job sir!:notworthy:

Aaron, thanks for taking the time to go the build. It is very much appreciated. Glad to see it held your attention and and a super big thank you for the 21 likes.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd go with that pic of Brown 4 as it was photographed in a wrecked state and the gun covers may not be tightly fastened down. Here are a couple of truer examples:

View attachment 289155View attachment 289156

Andy, I agree the wrecked 190 might not have it gun covers fastened down. You can see in your pics that the bottom of the gun cover closer to the trailing edge of the wing has a bit of a thickness to it (more so on the first pic) and the curved arm where it mounts to the air frame definitely has a lip (both in your pics and mine) but I have seen some where the gun cover looks like it its completely flush. I believe it all depends on the lighting and the quality of the pics. Here are a couple showing a bit of a lip or thickness at the base of the gun cover again all dependent on the lighting that was present when the picture was taken. The point as I said is they/my gun covers are not totally accurate but I think they are passable.

red8.jpg

fw4190f8.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice indeed !
I agree about the wing root gun covers - the kit parts were designed to be open, hence the rather heavy detailing, not only of the cover thickness, but also the piano hinge line. Thinning them and fitting them flush would improve the look, but it doesn't detract from what is a great model, and I'd guess that, to the naked eye, compared to the devilish camera lens, they look more than acceptable.
Looking forward to seeing the finished display.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back