1/48 FW190A-5 Hans Philipp's "Miinke Pinke'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is an unbelievably nice job! I really the like the weathering, and the detail in the cockpit.

I have a question about the inner gear doors, and this is NOT to criticize, so please don't take it like that. Every picture I've seen of an Fw190 with the bomb rack installed, whether with/without the external fuel tank or a bomb, they always have the inner gear doors removed. Is that something that they did for all Würgers, or was it a case by case basis?

Again, this is a beautifully done model, and I mean no disrespect. :)

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments. I am going to work on the antenna's next and that should be about it. I am then going to work on the base.

Chunk, thanks for pointing out the gear doors. I think you are correct. I looked over various photos and most of them show the later models of the 190 which did not have the gear doors but I found some A-5's with the rack and none of them have gear doors. This should be an easy fix just to remove them.

Cheers,

Sorry I got to picking nits Totalize. I still think it's a wonderfully done job. :)

Looking at more photos, it looks like the inner gear doors close when the gear is extended as well. No wonder they just removed them at some point. LOL!!!

Chunk,

Not sure what you mean by the inner gear doors close when the gear is extended. I think this depends on when the picture your looking at was taken i.e. they may have had the centerline rack just removed or about to be mounted.
Here are some shots of some A5's that clearly show the gear doors are extended not closed with the landing gear down.

Fw190A-5/u12
190a-5u12.jpg

Nowotny A5 serving with JG54
nowotnyA5.jpg

Just got in this little kit to go with my 190 in a vignette.
My plan is to paint them dark yellow as in the box cover as the the german military had changed over to dark yellow for vehicles from panzer grey in the spring/summer of 1943.

tamiya32533reviewjd_2.jpg

Last edited:
By summer of 1943, the Dark Yellow standard base coat, introduced in 1941 was mainly disrupted by Dark Green and Wine Red, on all vehicles, ground equipment etc, applied in either heavy mottle, or wavy lines.
There were, of course, exceptions, but most photos of ground equipment show the added camouflage. In general, the Dark Yellow often appeared as an addition, rather than the base colour, due to the heavy application of the cam colours.

I was looking through Volume One of the J. Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek Fw190 book, and a lot of early Anton's had the inner gear doors closed when on the ground with the gear extended. Maybe when they got later in the series, that was not the case. Interesting thinking behind it nevertheless. :)

The Panzer Grau ( Dunkelgrau Nr. 46 ) paint -on the 7th November 1938, it was ordered that all vehicles were to be re-painted by the individual units. At the same time, it was specified that the pattern should be a base coat of Dunkelgrau, with one-third of the vehicle covered in Dunkelbraun. On the 31st July 1940, to save paint, it was ordered that armor should only be painted Dunkelgrau. On 10 February 1941, the RAL colors were re-numbered, with Dunkelgrau Nr. 46 becoming Dunkelgrau RAL 7021.
A word about the "dark yellow" colour. In fact the paint was the Panzer Dunkelgelb - RAL 7028 . The colour was introduced as the base one at the beginning of the 1943 ( other sources - in the mid of the 1943). On top of the Dunkelgelb base coat, stripes of Rotbraun RAL 8017 (red-brown) and Olivgrün RAL 6003 (olive green) were applied.

The Panzer Grau ( Dunkelgrau Nr. 46 ) paint -on the 7th November 1938, it was ordered that all vehicles were to be re-painted by the individual units. At the same time, it was specified that the pattern should be a base coat of Dunkelgrau, with one-third of the vehicle covered in Dunkelbraun. On the 31st July 1940, to save paint, it was ordered that armor should only be painted Dunkelgrau. On 10 February 1941, the RAL colors were re-numbered, with Dunkelgrau Nr. 46 becoming Dunkelgrau RAL 7021.
A word about the "dark yellow" colour. In fact the paint was the Panzer Dunkelgelb - RAL 7028 . The colour was introduced as the base one at the beginning of the 1943 ( other sources - in the mid of the 1943). On top of the Dunkelgelb base coat, stripes of Rotbraun RAL 8017 (red-brown) and Olivgrün RAL 6003 (olive green) were applied.

Wojtek,

Yes, when I refer to Dark yellow I mean Dunkelgelb RAL7028. There were many variations of all the colours you mention above certainly at least where armour colours were concerned. You can see Dunkel grau mixed with Dark yellow in a two tone camo scheme or all Dark yellow( both somewhat rare schemes and most likely due to failings in the logistics system to get all three colours to the unit in question) or all three, Redbrown, DarkGreen and Dark yellow in a 3 camo scheme or just Dark Green and Dark Yellow (east front) or just Dark yellow and Rotbraun which was mostly seen in Italy. Since Jever airfield was in Germany I guess I could do either dark grey or Dark Yellow so while the order came down as you say above at the begining of or mid 1943( I read that the colours were ordered switched just prior to the battle of Kursk in the summer of 1943) to switch colours there wasn't an immediate change over. I am thinking at this point I am going to go with Dunkelgelb to provide some contrast to the dark grey's on the aircraft.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I will post some shots in the near future. Just finishing the aerials at the moment.
I have also primed the base and will be starting on the hard stand which will be wooden planking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back