1/48 HB TBM-1C Avenger MkII British Pacific Fleet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tend to have only one or two on the go at a time, if I don't then none would ever get finished. That's also the beauty of a GB, it pushes one to get finished.

Maybe I will stop reading and get back to building... Hopefully in the next few days.

Ok gents, sorry for the delay but finally got some work done on the Avenger. Interior is almost complete just have to finish some painting and washing but here is what I have so far.. I am keeping the interior simple on this one.

7973405620_006304f06d_b.png

7973407606_aa2553648f_b.png

7973409562_e63e299431_b.png

7973411584_590bfc4d3e_b.png

7973413546_2c1b527ebb_b.png

Last edited:
Nice work, and looking good!
A bit late now, but where the fuel tank is, in the centre section,this was normally occupied by an Observer's seat in FAA Avengers.
I've finally found the brief notes I made whilst researching for my build in the PTO GB, and have attached them here for reference - hopefully they may be useful.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - The Grumman Avenger in Royal Navy FAA Service.pdf
    315.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
That is a radio, the previous Avenger I did I put the observer seat. This one I'm doing with extra radio equipment in it. Center fuel tank on the Avenger is between the cockpit and bomb bay area.

Forgot one extra thing there where USA Avengers with observer seats like the FAA counter part and I have read a few FAA Avengers had extra radio equipment which my guess was during certain battles lead by the US Navy in which the FAA participated in. Only issue is which exact aircraft did is not know to me. The RNZAF used American spec Avengers that had no blister windows, but those are the only ones really pictured and I would have to guess that they did operate FAA spec ones as well. Now there is an Avenger in New Zealand that is sitting in a covered area that is supposed to be in restoration right now. The RNZAF paint was peeling exposing the American paint scheme under it.

You are right though as FAA spec Avengers are supposed to have a second seat, but this build is not going to be 100% accurate as Im going to give this one a little more wear and tear but within reason. Note the silver paint which will be for chipping due to being based on the islands at times. Exact info on this particular Avenger is pretty minimal so Im adding to what I think could have been again participating the the US lead bombing of key Japanese control islands and installations of sorts which is why I put the extra vacuum tube radio equipment for Allied communication and the extra weathering for island landings on dirt and rock runways.

Last edited:
Thanks gents! This is a really great group build we have going!

Thanks again guys! Alright well the interior and engine are complete. All I have to do is paint the turret glass and glue it in place before I can bond the fuselage together. I will have a picture of the goods as soon as the glue is set for the engine as this can be a bit tempermental getting it to stay not only level horizontal and vertical but also having the 12 o'clock position at 12 o'clock. This is the only downside to the kit but is easily fixed with some tape and slow setting glue. Hang tight for the pics in about 12 hours when it should be dry to show the inside for one last time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back