1/48 HB TBM-1C Avenger MkII British Pacific Fleet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Welcome to th GB. Kojo be watching with intrest.

Got some of the cockpit done, once the flight deck is complete I will post a picture!

Flew into an airshow years ago in a TBM.
When we were leaving the Navy truck came by asked if we needed anything.
Pilot says "I could use 5 gallons of oil, it would bring us up to minimums"!
So they did.

Corrected colors on profile:
7836374534_9d5344c9e3_b.png

This more accurately represents the TBM-1C Eastern Aircraft (GM) built Avenger using DuPont paint for the Fleet Air Arm Pacific Fleet.

Now the reading and research is done and back to me building. After long color research I have found the correct sequence of paint colors to use for this particular version (GM) of the Avenger, colors are in Model Master Gunship Grey*(found this to be incorrect, I converted the color incorrectly, I made a custom mix to match a reference still locating correct color name at this time) top side with Olive Drab camo and flat gull grey bottom. These are the modern names to the older FS numbers of paint used at the time or else damn near close ( or atleast close to scale, but who is stressing about it anyway).

Last edited:
Nice. I think I used both those top colours on my FAA Hellcat but had MM Sky Type S on the underside, perhaps wrongly.

Grumman would have used Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey on top with FAA Sky type S on bottom. General Motors used DuPont paints which is why the colors are different, the official DuPont names were Sea Grey (which has the same FS color as Gunship Grey) Olive Drab and Sky (which was like Flat Gull Gray)

Good stuff, and correct info. From what I remember from my research a couple of years back, without digging out my notes, the Du Pont equivalent colour for the underside, at that time, was known as 'Sky Grey'.
Here's my interpretation of the colours on my still un-finished model from the PTO Group Build - I really must finish this, and the 'carrier deck' display base, someday!
(Note that the lighting for the photo is far from perfect, which may, and probably will, affect the tones on different monitors - it looks better to the naked eye!).

Attachments

• PTO Build 454.jpg
    PTO Build 454.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 87
Good stuff, and correct info. From what I remember from my research a couple of years back, without digging out my notes, the Du Pont equivalent colour for the underside, at that time, was known as 'Sky Grey'.
Here's my interpretation of the colours on my still un-finished model from the PTO Group Build - I really must finish this, and the 'carrier deck' display base, someday!
(Note that the lighting for the photo is far from perfect, which may, and probably will, affect the tones on different monitors - it looks better to the naked eye!).

Thats a nice Avenger!! Looks great!

Thanks mate - it'll look better when I finish the bl**dy thing! Another one where I keep saying to myself "Right, after I've finished this, I'll get back and finish the .... (choose any one from about six!).

I think we all have that problem. My "Rufe" from the Pacific GB still needs painting and decals. However, before GB 16 starts, I will have all my un-finished builds finished !

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back