1/48 Macchi 202 Folgore - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I got to go to the Wings Over the Rockies museum yesterday. It has a lot of Century Series fighters on display but the plane that I was most excited to see was their B-18 Bolo. Definitely not a plane you get to see every day!

Time for a quick update. I got the paint touched up and sprayed the white band and cross with Tamiya paint. Then I sprayed some future on for a clear coat. Next it was time for some decals. This is my first time using Sky Models decals and I'm impressed. They are thin with the bare minimum of clear carrier film around the decals and they snuggle down nicely with Micro Sol. They tend to grab tightly when you are positioning them, so it helps to float them into place.

20150318_214747_zpscm6ctjmn.jpg

20150318_214810_zpsxf77u6fl.jpg

Also had a chance to paint the spinner and prop.

20150318_215015_zps7blpo3rc.jpg

Time to do a little weathering and will hopefully get this one wrapped up soon. Thanks for looking in.

Me too - very nicely done.
Regarding the decals, I've noticed recently, with various brands, that they tend to 'grab' rather quickly, more so with Micro Sol/Set, and need a lot of water to float them into place. This has happened on gloss-painted surfaces, and on clear gloss varnished surfaces too, so I'm thinking maybe it's due to the current type of carrier film, or, more likely, maybe the adhesive, used in decal production these days.
I had real problems with one of the stencil blocks on the RDAF Strafighter, where the decal 'grabbed' and, when I attempted to move it, a corner curled under and would not straighten out - I had to scrap the decal and use the spare from the two-seat version, suitably trimmed.

Time for another update. I was able to add a panel line wash and add some streaking and grime using oil paints and enamel washes from AK interactive and Ammo by Mig Jimenez. After that, I sprayed on a flat coat and then I sprayed on some exhaust streaks using Tamiya paints heavily thinned with alcohol.

20150328_174125_zps1def0k2x.jpg

20150328_174137_zpsubx5djgq.jpg

20150328_174057_zpsbsd1xu9q.jpg

20150328_174330_zpsmzjn6be2.jpg

20150328_174346_zpsd5y5mtu4.jpg

I also had a chance to work on the landing gear. I added brake lines from thin wire and drilled out the struts.

20150327_095137_zpsmtukjeiy.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking. I feel like the end is insight on this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back