1/48 P-51D, Hasegawa or Tamiya?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Had a look at these today. Made me wonder which is the P-51D kit of the two, Hasegawa or Tamiya, which are the pros and cons against each other and is ICM's any good at all?

Also, how do you easiest make a good mask for the olive drab for these 55th FG crates? They don't come with a template as with....
DSCF0003-12.jpg

DSCF0004-13.jpg

...these 356th FG birds. Is it fairly standard red to be used for the nose etc.?
DSCF0006-9.jpg

DSCF0007-7.jpg

DSCF0005-10.jpg

DSCF0008-7.jpg

I think that the Tamiya kit can be a good choice for you Jan.Tamiya kits are well-known of their nice assembling.

I tend to agree with Wojtek. I haven't done Tamiya's 'D', but have done the B/C, and it's very nice. OK, there's the question over the cockpit floor on the 'B', but it can't be noticed anyway! I've seen a Tamiya 'D' close up, and it looked great. Haven't actually seen a built/painted Hasegawa one, so can't comment.
Frisk film is probaby the best bet for the mask, if you mean for that curving topside OD.

Indeed it will old chap! Have you found a local supplier? My local graphics shop no longer has any, although I don't need any yet, I might inthe future, don't you know, what!

The Tamiya D is a great and simple kit to put together, the only thing I don't like about it is the 2 piece canopy...glass and framing.

The Hasegawa kit has way more parts and requires a little more work but is also a great kit....more likely to be more expensive as well.

Either kit will produce an excellent result.....

Don't think that will work old boy. I'm only guessing, but I think it's clear self adhesive film for covering books and such. If so, it won't be as flexible as Frisk, and the adhesive will be way too strong - pull the paint off!
If they haven't got any product with something like 'masking film' in the title, you'll need to try a Graphics Supply shop or Art shop. You might find something listed under 'Printing/Printers supplies' in the local directory. If I could remember the name of one of the distributors I used to deal with up there, you could contact them. One that might still be going in the Edinburgh are is Pentland Graphics, you could try there?

The Tamiya D is a great and simple kit to put together, the only thing I don't like about it is the 2 piece canopy...glass and framing.

The Hasegawa kit has way more parts and requires a little more work but is also a great kit....more likely to be more expensive as well.

Either kit will produce an excellent result.....

I agree Wayne - I built both and they were excellent - I still have an unopened Tamiya B with Malcolm Hood and several Hasegawa 1/48 and 1/32 D plus 1/24 Airfix D's waiting for inspiration

I'm with Lucky. Would love to see your Mustangs Bill. I'm not sure about the 'newer' Airfix 1/24th scale kit, but the original had extended oleos, which would need to be shortened for a bird on the ground of course. Just thought I'd mention this, in case it hasn't been noticed. Took me nearly 40 years to find out!

I agree Wayne - I built both and they were excellent - I still have an unopened Tamiya B with Malcolm Hood and several Hasegawa 1/48 and 1/32 D plus 1/24 Airfix D's waiting for inspiration

Well I'm sure we WILL fit in A Mustang, Spitfire and 109 Build somewhere or atheme that will suit in the GB , so there will be no excuses Bill!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back