1/48 P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Our fellow pilot.. I think he came out freaking sweet.. [Hey Airframes, this one looks to have some weight on him, unlike tin can tim :D]

Attachments

• PICT0431.JPG
    PICT0431.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0435.JPG
    PICT0435.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT0445.JPG
    PICT0445.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0438.JPG
    PICT0438.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 74
Thanks! For some reason this was the best "sculpted" pilot i have ever painted, the plastic was smooth like resin and needed minimal sanding, also dry-fitted the main body, no gaps!!

The fuselages have been linked! Almost perfect fit, but I went back under the cockpit and applied glue under the nose to get a clear "wall" so when I apply paint it should be good..

Attachments

• PICT0451.JPG
    PICT0451.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 80
  • PICT0447.JPG
    PICT0447.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT0446.JPG
    PICT0446.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 82
Ok, painted the guns, put on the air scoop, and attached the wings to the main body. The fit is perfect, I dont think I will be messing with it, the next step is to clean it down [lots of finger grease] then spray it black, gloss the black, then chrome it. After I get the main paint job I will do the wheels and everything, this seems to be the best method. This build seems to be going much faster.. (There is a door cover for the machine guns and im going to put it on with tape for the spray job then lift it up after and paint the other bullets and all that fun)

Attachments

• PICT0453.JPG
    PICT0453.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 76
  • PICT0454.JPG
    PICT0454.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT0456.JPG
    PICT0456.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 87
Yes, its quite quick.. I guess after you deal with a deuce engine a single engine seems that much easier? :D

Vallejo my friend, it is the bees knees and I recommend it highly. It was founded on the basis of wargameing but they sell a model paint series and airbrush 'ready' series. Lots of colors and options, high pigment, and drys nice and matt like that. Your P51 is way better by the way :D

Lol i have had years of practice and a good club who teached me alot. Its like beeing back at school where they teach you to stay in the lines ;). But practice makes perfect keep up the good work!

Looking very good so far! I noticed one small thing which you might have missed - the camera shows up everything! The joints around the gun muzzle blast tubes have a small amount of flash, which needs to be removed and smoothed. If left, this will show up like a dogs dangly bits once hit by metallic paint. Sorry to 'pick', but better to correct it now, than have it mar an otherwise good model.

I was a little confused by what you were saying because I picked up the model and looked at it, went to the picture and saw it right away.. And don't be worried about being picky, I want to produce the best model possible. I post these things for help more than anything :D

Glad to help mate. I thought it wouldn't be noticed on the model yet, which is why I mentioned it, but it would 'suddenly appear' once painted 'silver', a colour that emphasises any small imperfections.
I actually use photos of the build to help spot such things on my own models, as they're not always immediately obvious to the naked eye.

Washed it and applied my vallejo model air black. HUGE mishap.. this certain paint decided to dry as fast as superglue so I got constant nozzle build-up and splatter. Then eventually the whole internal airbrush was dried in black. A lot of cleaning and stuff but it made it through. The chrome is going to look very good I hope :D

Attachments

• PICT0458.JPG
    PICT0458.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 79
  • PICT0459.JPG
    PICT0459.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0460.JPG
    PICT0460.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 72
Nice work. Hope you got your airbrush cleaned OK. That's one of the problems with any matt black paint, however good it is - the heavy pigment tends to thicken quickly. I've got a tin of Humbrol matt black enamel that has started to harden in the tin, after only a few weeks, and it's only had about 25% used. Humbrol has got worse for this though, since the new owners changed manufacturer.
One thing that might help for future use with this colour, is to use the Vallejo Model Colour version, which you can thin yourself, which may allow a mix to prevent, or at least slow down the clogging. I'm afraid i can't advise on the possibilities of thinning the ready to use Model Air, as I haven't yet used any. I do like the Vallejo paint I have used though - very nice!

Well what is the ratio for the normal model color? I only buy the air series paints because I suck at ratios. I do have black and many other colors and would love to know your ratio for airbrushing.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back