1/48 P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It has its price airframe, that seam in the middle of the plane, that wing chip, I'm going to take my time on the next one.. I took more time on this one and its quite easy to bring it together, when the main body is drying paint the propeller setup and wheels, I have the covers to put on for the wheels and the canopy is ready.. the decals will be the challenge, plenty of ones that have to wrap angles which I suck at.. :(
[Is it possibly for the guns to produce oil streaks on the top of the wings? From rsearch I know some comes out of 3 gun holes on the bottom wing.. I'm weathering this one some and you'll see :D]

There could be some grey, whispy cordite streaks (not oil) from the gun muzzles, although the crew-chief would normally try to keep the leading edge of the wing, on a 'natutal metal' bird, as clean as possible. Any streaks would show more on a painted surface. There could also be some thin streaks from the shell case ejector slots on the underside of the wing. Have a look at some reference photos, but from what I've seen of the particular aircraft you are modelling, there was little in the way of weathering or dirt. The 78th Fighter Group only recieved Mustangs in January 1945, so they only saw service for four months, and most shots I've seen of their aircraft, colour and B&W, have shown fairly clean machines.

Right, I will use some MIG pigment on those slots.. I need to buy a kit that has a plane and ground-crew so I can make my own little diorama of the battle worn plane being repaired on. As for the mustang, lets keep er' pristine! :D

Hey bloody great work!!. Go buy a raw umber pastel and use a sharp knife and scrap the powder of into a cup or something. With a small bit of water mix some up. With a stiff brush just steak where oil runs will be from leading edge of the wing to trailing edge. It will make the paint look more like alloy. Just pm me if you need any help.

Looking good! I like the Aluminum finish, and the fact that yer making the "Big Beautiful Doll" I was too chicken to deal with the decals for that one when I did this model! I ended up doing mine for RCAF 402 "City of Winnipeg" Squadron!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back