1/48 P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm new to acrylics, having used enamels (Humbrol) for the last 46 years. But, I've started using Vallejo Model Colour, and thinned it, with water, 50/50. I have 'messed about' with thinning ratios, and it worked reasonably well at 60% water, for a thin misting. Overalll though, 50/50 is better.
The good thing is, you actually get twice as much paint for your money when thinning for airbrush use, AND you can use it for brush-painting too.

Yeah, I brush paint everything with my vallejo model colors, it makes figures look great! [I sometimes have to use my testors enamel if I dont have a certain color and such. The best benefit about Vallejo is the dripper.. makes paint consumption more efficient, way easier to do ratios for mixing, thinning, shade / highlight and all that stuff. I haven't dove into "oil" highlights and shades on my figures yet..

Just a teaser, still got some more coats and seals and all that fun. Will have it done this weekend for sure! [The canopy glass attaches to a plastic piece so the canopy will look very nice :D]

Attachments

• PICT0480.JPG
    PICT0480.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 102
  • PICT0482.JPG
    PICT0482.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT0483.JPG
    PICT0483.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 90
  • PICT0479.JPG
    PICT0479.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 76
Me too haha. Lets see if this metallic is more 'kind' then the aluminum on the P38. I think having the glossy black undercoat will give it a better surface to stick to but I dont know. If it's not forgiving I will spray it down with a gloss cote of lacquer and handle with cotton gloves.

I made contact with it last night, she can take some finger abuse! Sanded the right stabilizer on the back because of a clump so need to re-spray that and do the bottom. She's getting there.

Ok, I masked off some panels and mixed up chrome + burnt umber and shot it. It is subtle but I think the pics offer you the chance to see it. I also misted some of it around the plane to give a sense of it not just being chrome..

Attachments

• PICT0485.JPG
    PICT0485.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0486.JPG
    PICT0486.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PICT0487.JPG
    PICT0487.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 76
Yeah, I totally missed it until the metallic went on [As stated by Airframes]. The kit is what it is, I am going to be hardcore on the B17 because thats the plane / project to really show my skills. I have milliput but find it rather ugh when the white milk water drenches the plastic and seams into detail, I need to practice all this stuff out. :D

What is a good kit manufacturer?

I think it is an effect of making the trailing edge too much thin.Anyway the model is getting a nice shape.Keep working...:)

My first time doing this but I washed the rivets and creases in black to enhance the look. 1:10 + dollop of dish detergent. It went well but I went a little nuts on the bottom of the plane and I saw the glossy black after I wiped :rolleyes:
Its a pretty cool trick and gives that minimal difference but its there.

Attachments

• PICT0489.JPG
    PICT0489.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 88
  • PICT0490.JPG
    PICT0490.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 92
  • PICT0491.JPG
    PICT0491.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 71
Cleaned it off and here is where im at for the night.. all thats left is decals and the gun bay and some other spots. I put on a gloss cote and man does it feel smooth and look good! :D

Attachments

• PICT0492.JPG
    PICT0492.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 90
  • PICT0493.JPG
    PICT0493.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT0494.JPG
    PICT0494.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back