<> **** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5 - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This will be an out of the box build. Things are in the basement and ready to go!

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks guys. Going to have hard at it tomorrow and see if I can get a fair bit done as I am away for a bit starting Thursday and I want to get to one of my Corsairs as well as this big bird. I also have a couple of 1:72 WWI birds kicking around downstairs. They were given to me by a now deceased former co-worker so I suppose this would be a good time to tackle them as well.

Jeff

A beast for sure. With a wingspan of 25 inches and 4 inches wide at the center and 3 inches wide at the tips, I figure she is just under 90 square inches total area, about the same as a full sized F-104 if I am not mistaken!:thumbleft:

Well I said I was going to get an early start and I have done so. I considered the size of this model and the extremely large wing, both in span and area and I have decided to treat this build as two separate models, the wing being one and the fuselage a second. With the wing being an overhead setup I figured to attach it and then try to paint and fiddle with all the fiddly bits could be a problem. The plan is to complete the wing and then set it aside and go after the fuselage. once the two are complete I will then match them together with a minimum of trouble ( I hope ). Anyhow, here is the wing as she currently sits.

She consisted of 5 sections, three along the top and two on the bottom.

9.JPG

Going to take the dog for a walk and go out for breakfast with Mother Superior and then get down to the business of painting this.

Cheers,

Jeff

Question......my usual.....antenna wires? Nothing showing in the instruction diagrams but photos I have looked at in some of my books of other PBYs clearly show the wires from the wingtips to the tail.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
Sorry Jeff. I don't have much on these birds but profiles that I have show the antenna wires. If you know the date of that pic it might give a clue as to the radio equipment on board. The pic struck me as possibly post war.

The profile doesn't shot the antenna wire.However the arrangement of the antenna wires varied depending on the radio equipment carried in he aircraft. In many pics it is very difficult to notice them because the wires were very thin.

Snafu Snatchers.jpg

Last edited:
To add more confusion and doubt I found the attached web site that has photos of many different Cats from this squadron. Some have wires, some appear to not have any. Some aircraft have the antenna mast on top of the tail, some do not. The side profile that Wurger included has the mast but I looked till my eyes hurt and I do not see it on the aircraft in the photo I attached in post #13. Really unsure as there is a mast to be installed in the tail. The example restored at the USAF museum is not to be relied on as it does not have the flame dampers installed so I don't know how accurate it is in it's depiction of the actual aircraft.

From digging around, 433879, was built in Monteal at Vickers and was delivered to the USSAC in February 1944. The photo I attached in post #13 was taken at a place called Dipolog Mindinao which is in the Philippines. Dipolog is the name of the city and Mindinao is the name of the island which is a southern island in the Phillippine chain of islands.

2d Emergency Rescue Squadron

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
Initially I thought the same but the close-up shot revealed the sun reflection on the fin trailing edge going on this too. If it would be the tree , the reflection run much further up to the gap between the fin and the rudder and the bottom of the piece would be dark contrary to the fin tip.

mast1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back