<> **** DONE: 1/48 Corsair IV - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Weird thing is, glued it up, it sat a few days, then was fixed to fuselage, sat another day or so, then I painted it and all was fine.
Did no more to it for a week or so and then found it like in the pic ?
It was on top of the ramekin from work I use to mix my pastel wash in.

I agree on it not being the sunlight, this is the north east of England for God's sake ! :lol:

I agree with Andy. It looks like the effect of cement on the inside surfaces, melting the plastic.

IMHO , although the visual effect is quite similar to the kind of damages but it is not in the case. The Academy moulded the stabilisers and elevators as the solid parts. So these don't consist of two halves and can't be put togeter with some of glue inside. What is more, the marked damage in the enlarged shot below , indicates an external factor. The damage has been caused by something what was either hot or very agresive to the polistyrene. The apperture is of jaggy edges and the plastic there is shiny and rough what looks like melting with "frying". The damage had to be caused by sometning that was pressing the polistyrene at the area for some time. The model could have been pinned down or been leant on that. Also, it might have been hot enough to make it quickly but it the case there wouldn't be any other damages there rather.

damaged tail.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, I can see that now, and I hadn't realised the parts were 'solid'.
Certainly looks like external heat or chemical-reaction damage. Bit of a rub-down and some filler should sort it.
Otherwise, class it as 'deck handling damage' !

are you going to try a recovery Karl. I would. whilst there is lot of surface damage, the basic integrity of the wing doesn't seem too badly warped or affected. I lot of filler and a lot of patience and you should be able to recover I think.

are you going to try a recovery Karl. I would. whilst there is lot of surface damage, the basic integrity of the wing doesn't seem too badly warped or affected. I lot of filler and a lot of patience and you should be able to recover I think.
Already gave it a run over with a sanding stick and the dark paint hides a multitude of sins ! :lol:

Thanks guys, plan on tackling those tiny serial number digits done later today, they will have to be added individually :rolleyes:
Then just the 115's on the gear covers and the decals will be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back