1/48 Phantom FG.1 - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: Catch22
First name: Cory
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Phantom FG.1
Aftermarket addons: RAM Models Decals (likely), Aires resin cockpit, possibly more if the mood strikes me

PI000000023277.jpg

I will be making my new FGR.2 into a Royal Navy FG.1 as Karl has graciously sent me his extra FG.1 parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be doing this Phantom off of the Ark Royal. I wouldn't mind doing this particular aircraft since it's in the same photo as a Buccaneer I have markings for (which may be build 4 for this GB). I do not know what serial number it is however.

Screen Shot 2015-06-08 at 12.09.04 PM.png

A new decal sheet is coming out later this month, so I'll be covered for the Royal Navy text, and I have a set Ark Royal tail markings from a Hasegawa Phantom I built a few years ago. What I again lack are proper RN stencils in black. I have some black stencils that came with said old Phantom, but I don't know if they're close enough to the RN ones to use. I do not get the impression that the new sheet comes with stencils, and the only stencil set I've found is provided as dry transfers, and I don't know how great those would be since you cannot move them.

This will also be one of my first times using a full resin cockpit. I have heard Aires' stuff can be a very tough fit, so I may be asking a lot of questions from those of you who have used them before. Any starting advice in regards to that?

Last edited:
You can never go wrong with Phantom II. F-4 FGR.1 or .2 F4H, no mater what you call it, it always spells Phantom II. UGG ERR ERR UGG AHAHAH He man talk. Phantom GOOD.

Great stuff Cory. The airframe stencils should be the same as for RAF.
As for the resin parts, the main thing is to spend plenty of time test-fitting, to see what may be required in the way of trimming and/or packing, then take it from there.

Good one Cory. You have our British friends all excited now and Don has revealed his inner cave man.

I don't know if those are good or bad things! :lol:

Yeah I have seen now.

I was looking at an older boxing of that kit and it had decals for a cammo paint scheme included.
Thought yours might have had the same, but have since seen your kits decals.

I have seen a picture of an Ark Royal bird and it seemed to have a mix of mostly black stencils and a few yellow ones(mainly the hooking points for lifting).

Will try and find the picture again for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back