1/48 scale?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My first plane was 1/48 and I have been hooked since. Large enough for detail, but small enough (fighters, anyways), so that I could build lots of them.
Lately, the eyesight has gotten worse, but I will stick with it. I can't afford bigger scales!

In keeping with my 1/48 aircraft scale I bought the Fokker Dr-1 triplane. I still cannot believe that it is that small in 1/48. It is on my 1/24 list to rebuild

Wish I could have found lots of train stuff in OO scale if it was 1/76th. Never knew that. HO was so prevalent. And there was a whole line of military HO scale train stuff that I couldn't resist. And this ROCO stuff is what I bought in droves... what did I ever do with them. :sad3:

HO Roco Military

Ah, the Roco 'Minitanks' range! I had a complete army of those neat little vehicles. Apparently, they were originally designed for use with war games in the Military within NATO.

Silence, the Tamiya Lancaster kits are acceptable, and look like Lancasters, so good enough if you want a 617 Sqn 'Dam Buster'. It's just that, for absolute accuracy, they're not quite 100%, and showing their age, even though the 'standard' B1/BIII has been partly re-tooled and up-dated. To the average viewer, they look OK.
But as George remarked, they're somewhat over-priced for what you get, being detailed, but nothing special by today's standards. They were over-priced when first released in the late 1970s - I remember paying £25 for the BI/BIII kit back in 1978, and feel that's about what they're worth today, when you consider that the Revell/Monogram B-17G is around £25 to £30 in the UK, and is more detailed (internally) than the Lancaster kits. At a RRP of £90 in the UK, that's way over the top for an almost 40 year old kit.

Ah, the Roco 'Minitanks' range! I had a complete army of those neat little vehicles. Apparently, they were originally designed for use with war games in the Military within NATO.

No ****!! No wonder I loved the Little John missile launcher, the M113? tank carrier and all the other obscure vehicles they produced. I was in kid heaven and those ROCO babies weren't cheap I'll tell you. Even in the Mid 1970s, most were about $5 to $10bucks a pop!! What did I do with those!? I remember keeping them in their original plastic containers so they wouldn't break. Dammit!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 63
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Wtf!? I had tons of those wee Roco thanks, trucks and what not, dark/olive green or something, right, back in the late 70's early 80's, how many hours passed playing with those I do not know....! :D

Edit: Now I see some pics! I had a few of them Long Toms, I think it was...

Last edited:
I have a few of those to Roco pieces to Matt. I had a catalogue that had everything they had at the time listed. I added it all up once, forget how much it would have cost to buy all of it but it was pricey.

Yep, every Saturday, in the mid sixties, me and a mate went off to the Model Shop and bought one, maybe two each. Between us, we had a full Panzer Regiment, with the 'opposition' made up of Shermans, trucks, artillery etc, and a 'river' with about three sets of the 'Bailey' bridge spanning it.
I think the average cost was around 3 to 5 Shillings, just for a single tank, with larger or more complex models costing much more.
I seem to recall that one 'Bailey' bridge set, consisting of one bridge section, two ramps, and all the railings etc, was something like Ten Shillings (50 Pence in today's money), which was a lot back then. Especially when you consider that a Airfix 1/72nd scale 'fighter size' kit, or tank kit, was Two Shillings (10 Pence) !

In the early 70's, my friend, Pete, and I, bought several hundred 1/72 Airfix figures. I believe the price was $.50 or .75 a box.
We had battles between the Africa corps and the SS, the Americans and the British, with a few Russians thrown in as needed.
Good times.

I used to sit in the kitchen with mom listening to the radio news of the Korean "Police Action" then try to recreate the battles. Never had anything as nice as those scale figures just the cheap vinyl plastic soldiers that came in a bag plus some Army Camp sets from Sears

Wholeheartedly agree. When I stumbled upon Trumpeters Wellington, I bought, instantly! Haven't had too many surprises in 1:48 in recent years, apart from an He280, which I missed out on.

I would love to build a Blenheim and Halifax, Stirling too, but you damn 1:72 fans get all the good ones. grrr. I am very set on 1:48 though and have never changed since I was a kid. :D

Last edited:
Fonderie Miniatures do a 1/48th scale Hampden and Halifax, but they're expensive,when you can find them, and, from what I've seen, a right b*gg*r to build!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back