1:48 Supermarine Walrus Mk.1. Tandem Build - Two kits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gerry

Staff Sergeant
Jan 4, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Everyone, and A Very Happy New Year to all. I decided that, after putting my Lancaster to bed, I'd take a break from building. This I essentially did - apart from repairing and restoring a Fokker Triplane that had been damaged in transit and painting up some 1:32 scale British Commandos for a Grandson. However, the urge to build was too strong to resist for too long and for the last couple of months I have been working on a double build and this will hopefully attempt to bring you up to date on progress so far. So why start with a double build?

d91e9d98-55e4-468b-bb21-9185ca982e6f.jpg

Well, I had been given the new 1:48 Airfix Supermarine Walrus Mk.1 as a present a couple of Christmases ago and I also had, in my stash, an old SMER Walrus as well. I was conscious that the SMER kit was very basic, to say the least, and I thought that I could enhance the detail on the SMER kit, using the modern Airfix kit as a guide if building them in tandem. I am also looking forward to the rigging with some trepidation as this will be the biggest challenge in this area that I've faced to date.
I am aware the the Irish Air Corps (IAC) had three Walruses in service during the 'Emergency' (that's the Second World War to everyone else!), so I want to finish one in its delivery livery of overall silver. The second version I  was going to depict in IAC camouflage wartime colours but, as I was hoping to depict an armed aircraft, I'm still trying to confirm whether we ever flew them armed with the Vickers K guns mounted. The few photos I have of the period (from the IAC book) show them unarmed. If not, I may change to depicting an Allied Walrus instead. If anybody could throw some light on this I would be most grateful.

87ba307e-dcd6-4fdb-8207-2489725351d1.jpg

Back to the kits. The Airfix kit really is impressive particularly in its detail and fit. It's almost snap together quality. There's a vast gap between it and the much older SMER.

f401e836-04d2-4b26-b6ac-949d4ba8f33d.jpg

For instance, the SMER instructions are very basic – two pages plus a page colour call out (B/W) on the back. The Airfix instructions run to 24 detailed pages plus 8 pages of colour call outs and a rigging guide.

cbad7368-d96a-4ae4-952d-2aea115242a5.jpg

So I started with the Airfix kit, assembling the hull floor (I believe that as a flying boat these aircraft had hulls rather than fuselages). The Airfix hull comes in 5 separate sections (floor, portside starboard side, rear roof and bow top), compared to the traditional two halves in the SMER kit. Then I started to look at the detailing for the hull sides.

d57588d4-5c1b-4ec2-9e29-4739ad4446ff.jpg

Top is the Airfix straight out of the box, with only the drogue drum added. The only criticism I would have of the Airfix kit is that there were a lot of sink marks on the interior walls that had to be corrected.Below the SMER post hull without any detail at all. I've roughly marked where to introduce some formers and stringers in areas that may be visible when the hull is closed up. The other thing noticeable here is that the SMER seems a slightly bigger scale. All the seats, instruments etc are bigger and cruder that those supplied with the Airfix kit.

61b4951f-3364-4414-9a05-602e2702d105.jpg

Here, for example are the two hulls dry assembled. The SMER, at top, is wider and chunkier than the Airfix.

c6d1534d-b88b-48d7-b538-77e0bbd08fd4.jpg

8ab55457-7c0b-40cb-aef9-2a464bb4e5a3.jpg

Even the small bit of detail added here makes a big difference and the starbord wall of the SMER was given the same treatment.

3ac682a8-4e18-4321-a197-8c97a9fdfdaf.jpg

907c4fd6-eed8-4be0-a523-932fee986671.jpg

Back to the Airfix pilot's platform, control column and seat (above). I did a lot more work on the SMER platform but, for some reason, forgot to photograph it on its own but it's shown in situ in later photos.

P1100456.jpg

The pilot's platform in test fit position on the hull floor of th Airfix kit. No glue here yet, it just slots in position like a piece of Lego.

Last edited:
Obviously something has gone very wrong here. Have your specifications for posts changed since my last post in February 2021?

Gerry

Last edited:
Looking like the whole post from another site (village.photos) was copied and then pasted here. There is nothing in logs about any error. I would say the different forum code could be the reason. I have tried to access the site but there is a poblem with that. I would suggest editing the post here and upload pics onto our server using the forum option.

Thank you gentlemen,

As before, I type up the complete post as a Word document. The interspersed photos were first uploaded to Village.photos and an URL downloaded, commencing with
IMG (Brackets) and /IMG (Brackets) inserted between the text. The document is then copied and pasted directly into your post window. This has worked for all my Lancaster posts. I work on an Apple Desktop with reasonably up to date IOS. I have started to edit as you suggest, Wurger but it is proving very laborious and time consuming. All my Apple preferences, date,time etc are current.

PS when I sent this originally the system deleted the [bracketed bits.]

I have edited the first post. Now all should be fine.

Gerry , it is possible the problem could be caused by the Word. It looks like you used the text format what wasn't acceppted by the forum system. Try to use the text editior without the formating of the text. Also check on the URL addresses of pics you want to attach.

Hi Gerry! Great to hear from you again. I hope you can get over the posting issues as I would love to see your project progress.. Your work is a pleasure to watch. When you get to the rigging part, I have found the use of knit-in elastic thread (described here) makes the process relatively pain-free.

G Gerry

Seems to me that the formatted text in Word was converted to plain HTML when pasting it into the editor of the forum. However, I guess as most modern web systems, the forum does not show html in a post anymore. That's not a bug, but a modern safety measurement. Try to copy as plain text (a feature in Word) next time or write your text in a text editor like notepad instead of a full blown Wordprocessor.

Thank you Marcel. Your suggestion to change from Word has worked. I can export text directly to the forum using QuarkXpress. The photos still need to to be individually imported but that's not a problem.

I will take a break from it now and continue my post tomorrow.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help and good wishes.

Gerry

So to progress, it was the case, on both builds, to put as much detail and PE in position on the interiors that would eventually be painted in Interior Green.
First, on the Airfix Walrus.

9147dc41-58c2-4d6b-9971-c1bdf54a0cb5.jpg

I had actually bought the PE originally without realizing that the Airfix Walrus was so detailed. I've been using it sparingly on the Airfix kit where it enhances detail or adds missing detail. If I use it there I can transfer unused parts of the Airfix kit to the SMER.

I was lucky to be able to download an original Walrus Pilot's Manual from the internet that gave me lots of interior photos and positions for equipment and has been a great help.

f8c2d8d3-5bd6-49ce-9a92-810e03fcffe0.jpg

Here the same process continues on the SMER Walrus. This is a combination of PE, spare parts from the Airfix kit, and scratch-building. Also, here is the pilot's and navigator's positions dryfitted in the portside hull. A lot of scratch-building here to get it looking something like the actual detail on both sides of the SMER hull.

e16cd7f0-8a2a-47a5-b389-bb6177c3330e.jpg

60dfb2be-99f6-4056-b926-5571f1f20a07.jpg

This is now getting close to initial painting and showing the port and starboard walls on both kits. You should just be able to see that I also 'decked' the floor of the SMER kit on both sides.

The Airfix kit is still just dryfitted with the precision of the fit keeping everything in place but allowing me to separate the parts for ease of painting. All non-interior green equipment will be pre painted and added later.

78ad9ee0-a2fd-4f2b-8ed5-ee32d9f92ca8.jpg

Because the Airfix hull is split into so many parts, adding the anchor winch and other PE detailing needed to be completed before this part is added to the joined hull sides later in the build.

02ce649f-16d7-4f7f-91c3-cda7db1cce0c.jpg

561a9579-46c6-4eb5-afb3-b2e8f6a08ba7.jpg

Here the bow head has just been taped in position to give a comparison of the detailing between the Airfix Walrus (above) and the SMER Walrus (below).

615cc437-9c29-439f-9c8c-2958b60ee306.jpg

1e3c6aa6-158a-4801-8007-57f0b5577e61.jpg

Next will be the painting of the interiors, then adding and picking out any extra detail that wasn't in interior green. I have already started this but will try and get a bit more done before I post again.

Gerry

Gentlemen,

Whatever magic you worked, everything is conforming automatically now. The QuarkXpress programme is exporting everything , including the urls, directly to the forum without any extra input from myself.
Thanks to everyone who suggested solutions. I wouldn't have had a hope of solving it without you.

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back