1/48 Ta152H - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I got a day to myself today since the outlaws all decided to go to the Stampede today in the pi$$ing rain. There was no room for an 8th person in the vehicle anyway so I volunteered to stay home, displaying an extraordinary performance of mock disappointment. This allowed my to essentially finish this model.

First, I had to go back a few steps and fix this. I used stretched sprue for the antenna since it droops realistically. The disadvantage is that t's very fragile, in this case dissolving with thinned metallic paint.

16071506.jpg

The repaired antenna.

16071508.jpg

Red landing gear indicator added and gun barrel painted. In the background you can see the exhaust staining done.

16071507.jpg

Step installed, d/f loop added using wine bottle foil, and a stretched sprue antenna post added.

16071509.jpg

The final antenna was added using the kit PE part but the curved end is replaced with stretched sprue.

16071510.jpg

In taking these last few pics, I lost one of the trim actuators so will need to either find it or make a new one. Once that's done and a final look over is done, I'll post some final pics of the finished model, hopefully in some natural light if it ever stops raining.

Very nice work Andy. Have you thought about using 'invisible' thread for the antenna wires ? It can be made to droop fairly easily if needed.
Not sure about the Ta152 series, but on other FW-190A and D types, I've seen red and white stripes on the landing gear indicator pegs.

Thanks all. Terry, I have a spool of the invisible thread but decided to go with sprue this time because I've not found a good way to simulate the insulators using the nylon thread. Everything I use to simulate the insulators always tend to bead into circles and I need elongated ones.

I went with red indicators as the instructions call them up that way and I studied similar models done by Chris Wauchop which also had all red ones.

Thanks Glenn.

A combination of lack of time and lack of motivation has resulted in no work being done on this til today. I've given up on trying to find the PE aileron trim tab actuator and set about making my own from stretched sprue. This is the one on the starboard wing that has stayed on.

16070809.jpg

And here's the port wing, before and after.

16072506.jpg
16072507.jpg

One more look-over and I'll post finished pics by Sunday, after which time I'll be out of town and away from the bench for 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks Geo. And in doing so, I lost one of the little gear down indicators again - damned fiddly bits!

Nice fix on the actuator Andy.
For the insulators (with invisible thread) I run a bead of PVA along the thread, building it up if needed, and this creates the elongated type of insulator.

Thanks all. Seems I'm going 2 steps forward and one back. Since I lost one of the gear indicators, I replaced both with thin brass rod placed into drilled holes with CA glue. That oughta do it. Problem is, while I was doing that, I lost the other f!cking actuator so I have to make another one again. I'll probably break the other one while I'm doing that too.......

Thanks Steph.

Revisited the actuators, hopefully for the last time. This time, I replaced both by drilling and gluing in some fine copper wire and adding stretched sprue links. Shown below before painting and touch ups.

16072706.jpg
16072707.jpg

I've also flattened the tires and will paint the actuators tomorrow. Hopefully no more parts will drop off!

Good stuff Andy. Won't be able to taxi and take off with flat tyres though, surely ......................... I've go me coat !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back