1/48 Tamiya RAF Mustang III - W/O Pietrzak

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Wayne, not lookin forward to the NMF though.

Thanks Jan.

On the subject of NMF (I know we discussed earlier in the thread the various options). What are people's thoughts on using something like Tamiya XF-16 "Flat aluminium"?

Cheers Chris

Got the wings and other bits fitted up this evening. A small amount of filling/repair work to be done -

D077DA88-E0A4-4883-ACB1-86037973277E.jpg

7C62D787-D53B-4E52-B2C0-A2C2FEEE8850.jpg

Cheers Chris

Thanks Jan.

On the subject of NMF (I know we discussed earlier in the thread the various options). What are people's thoughts on using something like Tamiya XF-16 "Flat aluminium"?

Cheers Chris

Never used it Chris so can't comment. Remember that the wings are not really NMF anyway but an aluminum paint over primer. Now, when applying any kind of silver paint, your filling work needs to be impeccably smooth and uniform with the surroundings as the aluminum colours are ruthless for showing imperfections.

Thanks Wojtek.

Andy I didn't know that the wings were in a different finish so thanks. Looking at the original picture of the plane i would say that it has the same dull finish all over and as such I may just go with the Tamiya colour to finish this one. Also as at some point the tail fillet would have been retro fitted (if I'm correct) I may leave it off as I'm not confident I can achieve the required finish for it to look good on an aluminium finished model.

Ok a little update.

Some more assembley work and filling done. Now time to mask up and get the primer out.

EEDEE53C-8464-4D23-97AB-AD25BE041896.jpg

1EFC21C8-F192-4FD4-84E7-59E6F746D791.jpg

Cheers Chris

The wait is almoast over already.

- Primer and two coats of Tamiya XF-16 Flat aluminium -

46D59251-F26A-4E28-9244-44B450DC676E.jpg

Will apply gloss tomorrow and see how it looks. I'm quite happy so far.

Cheers Chris

Not too bad. Now, I'll defer to Wojtek on this particular plane in terms of the finish. I was speaking in general when I said that the wings were painted on what were otherwise deemed "NMF" Mustangs. I think earlier posts in this thread mentioned overpainting of the entire camo, in which case the finish for wings and fuselage would be similar.

No worries, this is just trial and error really and to see if I can get away without having to invest in Alclad or to get myself relegated from the big bed after creating a mess following Terry's method lol.
Again looking at the photograph of this bird in the air I think the overpainting of the camo can be seen quite obviously around the tail area. Will see what I can do, maybe lightly airbrush on some darker patches where camo can be seen and then give another coat of flat aluminium.

Cheers Chris

Looks great Chris. If you haven't done so all ready, the panel around the exhausts were a different shade. I just did a -51 and used 5 different shades of silver though it's hard to tell depending on the angle it's viewed from.

Geo

Thanks all.

Geo, no I haven't done anything other than a couple of coats of flat aluminium all over.
I presume darker silver in that area?

Cheers Chris

It's kind of a burnt silver and I've seen it in most but not all photos. The panel underneath and at the wing root is almost always present as well.

chris.JPG

chris1.JPG

Also note this little hole on the starboard side....

chris2.JPG

...again,almost always present.

Geo

That would be true if the model depicts a natural metal fuselage but there's discussion that it is silver painted over camo, in which case I would suggest that the panel be uniform with the rest of the plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back