1/48 Wellington Mk. III of 425 Squadron - "Starting to Finish"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Perfect references Grant thanks. It confirms my thought that the moulded fairing is right and that the box position is bogus.

Don thanks for following along. I wouldn't stop you getting this kit as this issue is not the end of the world.

The issue now will be to add some beefy supports to help prevent those long wings from flapping around.

Yeah I think my quiver runnith over as it is.

What about cutting the holes that the box in in to the correct angle and shimming it to that angle. I don't have it to look at directly but seems to me that might work.

Thanks guys, Yep, those are my thoughts too. The boxes will likely stay but the corners will need to be trimmed so that I can rotate the wing to the right position. Once I'm able to do that, I'll add spacers and more reinforcing to stiffen the joint. Another thing that I think will be needed is to drill through the fuselage and glue in a plastic tube to prevent the walls from pulling in and out from the weight of the wings. There's too much flexibility there now I think.

Last edited:
Thanks Airframes Terry. Question for you, since you responded to PlasticHero's Lancaster wheel well colour issue: What do you think the colour of my Mk III Wellington wells should be? The reason I ask is that it's not entirely clear what I should do, though I had so far gone on the assumption that they should be black.

I'm not sure which mark the pictures that you and Grant kindly provided represent but one set (Mk I?) seems to show the wheel wells to be largely unpainted. Then there is this photo that you also provided:

Is this the Mk X? It shows what seems to be a mostly black interior, save for the bits of the undercarriage that stick out below the hinge points. The following pics, from a reference provided by Geo, show the Mk X wheel well and these would appear to be painted in what I perceive to be black (note similarity to the inner face of the gear doors):

As my subject is a Mk III, it would seem a bit of a toss-up as to whether or not the wells were painted, given that the examples from what I believe to be the Mk I appear to be bare metal and those of the Mk X above are clearly painted.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

As far as I know, the wheel wells were black on all models.
The Cosford example, a T.10, used to be painted silver overall, post war (used in The Dam Busters movie), although it could have been in camouflage prior to this, and probably was at some time.
It was "converted" back to "normal" configuration, with nose and tail turrets, and re-painted for display in the RAFM, Hendon, and the wheel wells may have been painted black at this time, before being moved to Cosford for further restoration, a few years back.
Bear in mind that the Brooklands example spent decades underwater in Loch Ness, and it's difficult to tell if the wells were once painted black, and not re-painted during restoration.
Both the wheel wells and bomb bay on the Brooklands aircraft are in bare metal, looking more silvery grey than bare aluminium, although the wheel bay doors are black inside and out. There are dark traces in the wheel wells and the bomb bay which may have been, and very possibly was, black paint at some time, and as the bomb bay would certainly be black, I think the wheel bays would probably also have been black.
That said, it wouldn't look out of place if the inner faces of the doors were black, and the remainder of the wells in aluminium.

Thanks for the detailed response Terry. I'm relieved to hear that black seems the right choice. When you mentioned grey/green wheel well parts for Alan's Lanc I began to question if I did the right thing. Black they will stay!

Thanks Andy.
Regarding the grey-green on the Lanc, I may not have been totally clear. The inner faces of the doors, and the main structure of the bays (walls) were black. The "cantilever" wing ribs, partly visible in the upper part of the nacelles, were in grey-green.

Because I only discovered the problem after the boxes were glued on. I will now need to modify the boxes for that purpose.
I am sorry, I mentioned it as a solution for now, to place the wings without the boxes in the right way (I supppose, I used the word " did't" wrong, but you know, I am bad in Englisch And typing on a cellphone with my big hands)

I agree with Terry, Andy, black is entirely appropriate and the Loch Ness Wellington looks as if it's been paint stripped. The undercarriage doors of the Loch Ness Wellington have been painted black. It's worth noting that the bomb bay should also be black.

Thanks guys. Yeah I knew about the bomb bay being black so no worries there.

Last night I nibbled a little off one of the boxes to allow the wing to twist to the correct location. There was a lot of trial and error and I now have an idea of how much to take off. Most of the binding is actually in the corresponding wing opening. I'll post something when I have a solution finalized.

Users who are viewing this thread