1:48th scale Vulcan Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think an Airfix Vulcan would have to have metal landing gear, compressive strength doesnt scale up to 1:48 in plastic.

It might at that. When I built the old Monogram PBY years back (many years), I recall that my Grandfather helped me strengthen the gear by drilling it out and inserting wire.
The Vulcan is the only airplane I have walked around and under, there is one parked in the open at Sunderland Air Museum. While up close the landing gear look "beefy" the airframe is enormous. Here is a pic.
Avro Vulcan B.2 - XL319

I've got a few of the classic 1/48 Revell/Monogram B-17, B-24, B-26 and B-29's in my stash, about time that they do some newtooled ones! ;):lol:
I would love to see new tools on all of those! The B-17 has been done a couple of times by others but as far as I am aware no B-29's in the larger scales except the Revell/Monogram kits. I really love the old bombers, they just look fantastic. Hang on to those they are getting more valuable to collectors especially if they are period kits.

The Vulcan is the only airplane I have walked around and under, there is one parked in the open at Sunderland Air Museum. While up close the landing gear look "beefy" the airframe is enormous. Here is a pic.
Avro Vulcan B.2 - XL319
She was and is a great looking plane. Amazing the the service life span she had. I so want to build one for my collection.

It's a shame that kit builders do not offer the "bigger" bombers in 1/48 but I do understand why not. It is very difficult to display them in that scale but then you have a collection that does not match in scale.
Robert you mentioned wanting the B-29 in 1/48. I built one several years ago and it is a LARGE model. It will not fit in my display cases and fortunately I did find a place for it on an open shelf. The B-29 also brought to a head (for me anyway) one of my pet peeves, i.e.; putting in intricate detail and then sealing up the model so it cannot be seen. If you build this kit you'll see exactly what I mean. The cockpit, navigator's station, crew quarters, etc. are all there and nicely detailed and then you close the fuselage....gone from sight. For the first time I modified a kit by cutting open access panels so that the interior could be seen.
Since the B-29 is 1/48 it is directly comparable to my other bombers, the B-17 and B-24 for example
B-29navandcrewR.jpg

DCP_1477.JPG
DCP_1468.JPG
B-24andB-29R.jpg

Last edited:
Now I must admit I would of loved to have seen a B-58 fly, I imagine it would of been very impressive
IMPRESSIVE the understatement of the century! June, 1960, at dusk on the old Rt 66 somewhere in Texas, headed for LA, Dad didn't notice the small "Caution: Low Flying Aircraft" sign, but I did. We heard a distant rumble from behind the embankment to our right, then with an earth-shattering roar, a delta-shaped constellation of lights with four brilliant blowtorches erupted over the embankment and over our heads so low it rocked our car and blasted us with heat. Its nose was pitched way up, but its flight path was a very shallow climb. We were one shook-up family! Impressed the crap right out of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back