1/50 Ki-61 Hien - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll try to pop into my local Home dept. stores and see if they have anything, you'd be surprised at the amount of utter none sense we've been getting recently at these stores here. I'll try to get something super strong to bond it (acentone etc) and see what to do next. The only place in my house with good ventilaition is the outdoor backyard :D so hopefully will try this soon, as soon as snow is gone :D

How many days do you guys allow it to dry after applying the acetone? :)

Usually the polistyrene is hardened fully in 24-48 hours. But the pure acetone isn't a good glue. I would make a mixture of acetone with some of the polistyrene filings and let them melt fully.

Last edited:
As above acetone is not in any sense a "glue" what it will do is melt the plastic edge you apply it to, then when you press the two edges together they will "flow" together. A bit like what occurs in welding. Just be careful as too much will soften the plastic to a point that it will not harden again. So small amounts, apply with a paint brush of something similiar, and 24hrs to reharden the melted-together edges. Soft heat and air flow will aid the process.
Again caution with the acetone. Vapors will ignite so don't work near sparks or flame (like a basement water heater)

Then it is agreed, hopefully when the weather warms up a bit I'll do this outdoors :D have to see where I can actually leave it to dry, as most my house is a cinder box lol :D

Drying of the bonded joints indoors should pose no problems as the acetone that evaporates will only be the tiny amounts use by you on the joint. The big cans/brushes/applicators will be closed and put away. I would, at this point buy a small amount of acetone (fingernail polish remover) and using some odd pieces of spru from the model try the acetone on them and see if it affects them. Fingernail polish remover is usually mostly acetone with perhaps some oils addeded to keep from drying out the nails. Get the cheapest available and read the label for ingredients. You won't want to use this stuff on the model but it will let you know if acetone will work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back