1/50 Ki-61 Hien - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And these are nice shots too...

0062.jpg

0052.jpg

Great pics Wojtek,

Nishikawa states kobayashi painted the leading edge of his aircraft in red in order for his wingman to recognize him in combat. So it looks like Igor has some options here. If he wants to model an aircraft after a picture the one with the yellow id band May be best.

Last edited:
Thanks all a ton amazing info and supporting color palettes, really appreciated all the stuff everyone's added in to this project :) :D I'm stitting here glueing the tail section (two part kit fuselage) and pondering over some options for the color scheme and cockpit layout, using I think the best French language book on the Ki-61 as a reference for the cockpit. I'll post some updated photos later today :)

Thank you all for the support on this one! :) it is amazing :D the info and discussion that we are producing on this aircraft :D

All right, some progress shots :D

So I glued her primarily, after this step, I went to try the Testors "No putty" method, where you slober the entire seam lines with Testors. I'll be waiting a week for this rear portion to dry before sanding it. Hopefully I'll have the cockpit done by then :D Pre-slober pics,

It appears I'll have to re-do the entire plane in rivets etc so I'll do an entire sanding :D egh :O now I'm hooked too :( :D
DSCN8786_zps68fb36eb.jpg

The details look ok, when comparing to the actual diagram, although I'll definatley need to ask the experts on the Ki-61 does it really have so many rivets :D
DSCN8787_zps8e43a99e.jpg

Here is the decal sheet, vintage :D I tested one of the portions I won't be using, and they stick ok, white is reaaally bad so I'll have to figure out what to do when applying it to a darker surface. I'll wait till everything is pretty much assembled on the fuselage before picking out one color scheme, they all look really cool :D
DSCN8788_zpsfb175b75.jpg

Last edited:
I've come into a little problem, and I'll probably request this GB post ended from here....Any glue I try on this Green plastic doesn't want to stick...Testors (left for 9 days to dry) came apart within 3 days of sanding. Super Glue, same thing, even tried gorilla glue, but alas it doesn't work :S

Anyone have any suggestions on what might be a possible solution (yes I have washed the parts in detergent :)

I've never faced this type of plastic before, and it seems I'll have to melt the plastic to make it adhear to the parts :D

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I could swap out another kit for this one, many A6Ms in the stash for a Pacific GB build.

Have you tried pure acetone? It, in effect, will melt most plastics. Try some on a piece of spru, also Tamiya makes an "extra thin" cement which is primarily acetone and butyl acetate

I have some Mr. Gunze thin cement, will double check and see, if not I'll grab the Tamiya stuff, is there an extra strong Acetone glue anywhere on the market?

I'll try this and if it doesn't work, I'll wait and see what to do, maybe put this on the back burner and check another kit out.

I have to agree with Mike . This is a model moulded with the polistyrene of the old recipe. So the old glue is needed too. I think the acetone can be OK but the TRI (Trichloroethylene) thinner would be better. It could be found under a variety of trade names inter alia the Bizon Hard adhesive.

Here in the U.S. cans of Acetone can be found in any hardware/paint store. Remember it MELTS plastic and has a very high vapor pressure and is flamable.
As to Trichloroethylene I can't say, it is used as a degreaser and disolves organic compounds so it is used as a dry-cleaning agent, it is/was used extensively as an anesthetic gas (similiar to chloroform) so plenty of ventilation whilie in use

I use a homemade recipe for the extra thin, I produce it in cans, paint thinner glaze sell in any DIY store, leftover blisters of the models the hashes and add solvent I mean, if I want to have I put more strength cement house here in Spain UHU existed before a Imedio brand was the best of all adhesives, now sells UHU needle into the pot.

to paste whatever metometil use ketone with torzos blister, something more to guide per boat tamiya extra thin solvent I put five pieces of 4mm long, the capiralidad the solvent is almost the same as that of tamiya.

with acetone can also do something similar,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back