1/72 Airfix Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2B (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
This is my rendition of the Hawker Siddeley S.2B Buccaneer in "Operation Granby" RAF ARTF Desert Pink colors. The "Desert Pirates" were initially deployed in tandem with RAF Tornado GR.1 sorties for laser designation, the Bucc eventually went on autonomous hops seeking their own targets of opportunity later in the conflict. No losses were incurred for this aircraft during the Gulf War compared to it's Tornado GR.1 stable mate. It's eventual retirement from RAF active service after the Gulf War was finally realized, which was not so bad for an old cold war design.

The kit itself is a re-issued version of the old 1980s Airfix kit, plus additional sprues for ordnance and decals for Glenfiddich XW895 "Lynn". The Lynn had a shark mouth marking as well, which made this particular Bucc a bit more interesting.

Being an Airfix kit, this build needed a lot of TLC with the following list of work and modifications undertaken:

> Re-scribed panel lines;
> Added details for the engine intakes with styrene tubes and spinners for the turbines;
> Added details for the wheel wells and landing gears;
> Modified refueling probe;
> Modified nose cone;
> Added details for the canopy and cockpit;
> Added windscreen wiper and panel detail;
> Added blade antennas and pitot tubes;
> Added details on the wing mounted radar sensors;
> Added tail-guard and tail hook details;
> Added tail flare and wing chaff dispensers;
> Added wing tip aviation light details;
> Added a custom modified workable tail brake assembly;
> LGB ordnance from 1/72 Hasegawa Weapons set;

Paints used are Gunze Acrylics and weathering with Tamiya panel line accent colors and Mr Hobby pastels finished with Mr Hobby flat clear coats. The decals were original with a few DIYs for the bureau numbers.

Overall, the kit isn't for the faint of heart but still buildable to a certain tolerance. Other 1/72 scale Buccaneer kits from Matchbox are OOP, but the pricey CMK 1/72 resin kit can be had currently.

displaybase_buccaneer.jpg

Buccaneer_17.jpg

Buccaneer_10.jpg

Buccaneer_07.jpg

Buccaneer_09.jpg

Buccaneer_15.jpg

Buccaneer_32.jpg

Buccaneer_05.jpg

Buccaneer_30.jpg

Buccaneer_01.jpg

More WIP and finished photos here...

Great build. I have this old Airfix kit. I on occasion have taken it out and dry fitted the fuselage halves and wings. And everytime, I conclude that this kit would be a real bugger to look nice given the huge gaps that would need to be filled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back