1/72 Catalina help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Catalina FP 194 crashed Killadeas on 10th May 1943 .... source ... Joe O'Loughlin » Blog Archive » ERNE CRASHES

10/5/1943 Catalina 131 – FP194. Crashed on Lough Erne. .. source... Joe O'Loughlin » Blog Archive » Northern Ireland Plane Crashes W W 2

10/5/1943 Catalina 131 – FP194. Crashed on Lough Erne. .. source ... Beginning

All Squadrons that were based at Castle Archdale:

240 Squadron 1941-42
209 " 1941.
201 " 1941-1944 and back late 1944-45.
228 " 1942 -43.
422 " 1942 -43. ( Most of their operational flying still done from LE).
423 " 1942 -45.
202 " 1944 -45.

131(c) O.T.U. Killadeas 1942-45.

Catalinas of 131 OTU, Killadeas, over Castle Archdale, June 1943 .... source ... RAF killadeas - The War In The Air - WW2 Talk

13120catalina20over20L20Erne.jpg

Again from Eddy E .... Catalina FP194.
"F/lt. Duffield was instructing on Cat FP194 on the night of 9th May 1943. Duffy joined my staff and was to give night flight instructions. It was my practice to take up all new instructors day and night , because as an instructor they would have to fly in the unfamiliar 2nd pilot's seat. After checking Duffy he said he was happy and I retired to the pinnace. On the first landing the pupil hit the water with the nose too far down, and it sank to the level of the top of the main plane. All were rescued, so I cancelled night flying and took the submerged Cat under tow. It was a slow haul back to Killadeas , where it was dragged up on the slipway and I think it was written off."

The form 1180 states - "Aircraft landed with drift , port float submerged.
CO Instructors first dual night instruction.
AO/C Full report."
Time of crash is given as 01.30 hours pilots are listed as F/O WS Duffield.
F/O. IS Stockwelland P/O EC Lawrence.
One member of the crew was injured , his name is not recorded, the training had last 2hours 50 mins. up to the point of the crash landing.
The aircraft was written off.

Another Catalina of the 131 OTU Killadeas ....

Save0001-22.jpg

And the next record regarding the FP194 I found at the http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?50612-Shorts-Sunderlands/page2 .... post #49. The number of the OTU might have been a mistake ( just typo ) though.

FP194, 130 OTU, 10th May 43,Crashed on alighting during an instructional flight, no fatalities.

Last edited:
Great work there my friend !
Colour schemes seem to be the standard for the period - can't get to any profiles or photos at the moment, as my house is still 'upside down' whilst I install new display cabinets, and re-arrange book shelves and other furniture.
It's not until one sees one's books in tall piles, until one realises just how many there are !!

On the subject of Cats............. I'm looking for some pictures of VP-53 cats.

There was one significant rescue of some Marine pilots from VMF-422 from something called The Flintlock Disaster.
Lt, George Davidson was a VP-53 Cat pilot who pulled off the rescue of a bunch of pilots who crashed at sea on this foolish flight.
Don't think I can find code and serial numbers for his Cat, but perhaps some good authentic photos.

Thanks......

Thanks Wojtek, the page that references 130 OTU was the same as I found and so had to question. I think it would be safe to say that as a 130 OTU didn't exist the 131 OTU is where it belonged. I can assume that as this was based at 131 OTU the paint scheme would have been the same/similar to the above photographs.

So, who would like to make an educated guess at the complete squadron codes. AH - ?.
Or do I leave it off the model (as you know it needs to depict the exact aircraft to display with relics) and only apply the AH and serial number?

Wow, some good info there Wurger.

Ens. Davidson was assigned to fly 53-P-19 on May 20, 1944, but does not give serial number, sure would like to find That.
His famous rescue was Jan 25th, 1944. But I think that aircraft was unserviceable after the water landing for the rescue.
Can't seem to find an assignment sheet for January 1944, but that's okay.

You're a champ Wurger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back